Is foot pain PD or aging?
I'm so tired of my feet really hurting and am down to very little footwear choices. I think I lean forward so much due to balance issues. Any advice? Each step is a reminder! Also, what's with the not rolling over in bed? And not getting out of a car? And so many other annoyances. I am grateful for what I can do though! Thanks.
Posted on 10/01/08, 12:26 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Parkinson's Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 10/01/08  5:50pm
" Schells....Diseases that affect muscle and motor control, such as Parkinson's disease, can cause foot problems. I experience sharp shooting pain on the tops and sides of my feet. Very few dress shoes are comfortable for me and I find myself wearing mostly tennis shoes. A shoes that was recommended, especially if you are experiencing dystonia in your feet are Birkenstock sandles or clogs. I also have trouble rolling over in bed. The only thing I have found that helps is to grab onto my blanket and pull myself up. TeeCee "
Reply #2 - 10/01/08  6:10pm
" I have sharp pain in my left foot most of the time. It helps to wear sandals when at all possible. So glad you posted this. It's hard to know if aches and pains are related to PD. "
Reply #3 - 10/01/08  7:39pm
" Thanks to all of you for this discussion. My hubby does have dystonia in his feet and gets botox every 3 months. It helps his dystonia but he still has lots of pain in his feet. Sharp pain in bottom and sides of both feet. He has a ball that he lays down on the floor and rolls his feet on the ball. This does help some. I am glad to know that there are others with the same problem. Thank you. "
Reply #4 - 10/01/08  9:21pm
" I have tremendous foot pain on my tremor spasm side. Also have broken the foot twice. I wear a brace for foot drop. Turns out that this year I got arthritis in my foot from the breaks and the brace makes it worse. So it's not 100% pd, but the pd and the brace make it worse. I only can wear tennis shoes because of the brace that have removable insoles, are light and have a large toebox. I think I might try to find some black ones for winter :) No dress shoes for me, ever. "
Reply #5 - 10/01/08  10:40pm
" I have much foot pain (leg, elbow, hand- you name it pain- LOL!) and I'm still pretty young. I know we do get more aches and pains as we age, but PD or other movement disorders make them worse. I complained about my feet hurting all the time, worse with shoes, to my doc the very day he diagnosed me with the 'movement disorder' and his response was foot pain was common for most people with movement disorders. Like you said, probably from our walking funny, forward (for me kinda slouched to the left) etc and then if we have dystonia too with the lovely abnormal muscle contractions too- our poor feet are in an all out foot war! ;) I've found my Requip is helping some with the overall pain, still not so well with the dystonia- but I'm at relatively light doses yet according to my doc (lol!).

Hang in there Shells!! ((hugs)) Connie "
Reply #6 - 10/02/08  11:02am
" My Mom had this as well as in her leg and the Botox has completely relieved it. "
Reply #7 - 10/03/08  11:26am
" Thanks to ALL who responded - you really have helped me. Thanks, guys. "
Reply #8 - 10/04/08  11:11pm
" I would just like to say that my dad has PD and he had been having a very sharp pain in one of his feet which had swelled up. He has a really good podiatrist and I've seen many, so a board certified one is always the best in my opinion. "
Reply #9 - 10/08/08  10:33pm
" Foot pain-my husband had 2 bouts with gout after taking Azilect for 2 months.. He was taking his daily med to keep uritic acid in balance at the time.
(Gout appears as swelling, redness, constant pain in the foot.)
Husband has the "tremor" type PD. Internest adjusted his meds and he has been gout free for 2 months. Neurologist said this was not a side
affect to Azilect. Anyone else on Azilect
getting the gout? ddbupper "
Reply #10 - 10/09/08  7:19am
" eeek, i have foot pain too i wish i could walk around in bare feet all the time , never wearing shoes again.

My foot (right one) in the morning is so damn stiff. I feel i want someone to grab is and massage it into gello!

but after about 1/2 hour of walking around, it is fine, and loosens up

I do need an operation on that foot, bad bunion, im blaming that instead, not the pd.

Let you know in approx 1 month after a foot op, if it is the bunion, or indeed the pd.

Better be the bunion!! "