Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Is foot pain PD or aging?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I'm so tired of my feet really hurting and am down to very little footwear choices. I think I lean forward so much due to balance issues. Any advice? Each step is a reminder! Also, what's with the not rolling over in bed? And not getting out of a car? And so many other annoyances. I am grateful for what I can do though! Thanks.
Posted on 10/01/08, 12:26 pm
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Parkinson's Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/01/08  5:50pm
" Schells....Diseases that affect muscle and motor control, such as Parkinson's disease, can cause foot problems. I experience sharp shooting pain on the tops and sides of my feet. Very few dress shoes are comfortable for me and I find myself wearing mostly tennis shoes. A shoes that was recommended, especially if you are experiencing dystonia in your feet are Birkenstock sandles or clogs. I also have trouble rolling over in bed. The only thing I have found that helps is to grab onto my blanket and pull myself up. TeeCee "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/01/08  6:10pm
" I have sharp pain in my left foot most of the time. It helps to wear sandals when at all possible. So glad you posted this. It's hard to know if aches and pains are related to PD. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/01/08  7:39pm
" Thanks to all of you for this discussion. My hubby does have dystonia in his feet and gets botox every 3 months. It helps his dystonia but he still has lots of pain in his feet. Sharp pain in bottom and sides of both feet. He has a ball that he lays down on the floor and rolls his feet on the ball. This does help some. I am glad to know that there are others with the same problem. Thank you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/01/08  9:21pm
" I have tremendous foot pain on my tremor spasm side. Also have broken the foot twice. I wear a brace for foot drop. Turns out that this year I got arthritis in my foot from the breaks and the brace makes it worse. So it's not 100% pd, but the pd and the brace make it worse. I only can wear tennis shoes because of the brace that have removable insoles, are light and have a large toebox. I think I might try to find some black ones for winter :) No dress shoes for me, ever. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/01/08  10:40pm
" I have much foot pain (leg, elbow, hand- you name it pain- LOL!) and I'm still pretty young. I know we do get more aches and pains as we age, but PD or other movement disorders make them worse. I complained about my feet hurting all the time, worse with shoes, to my doc the very day he diagnosed me with the 'movement disorder' and his response was foot pain was common for most people with movement disorders. Like you said, probably from our walking funny, forward (for me kinda slouched to the left) etc and then if we have dystonia too with the lovely abnormal muscle contractions too- our poor feet are in an all out foot war! ;) I've found my Requip is helping some with the overall pain, still not so well with the dystonia- but I'm at relatively light doses yet according to my doc (lol!).

Hang in there Shells!! ((hugs)) Connie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/02/08  11:02am
" My Mom had this as well as in her leg and the Botox has completely relieved it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/03/08  11:26am
" Thanks to ALL who responded - you really have helped me. Thanks, guys. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/04/08  11:11pm
" I would just like to say that my dad has PD and he had been having a very sharp pain in one of his feet which had swelled up. He has a really good podiatrist and I've seen many, so a board certified one is always the best in my opinion. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/08/08  10:33pm
" Foot pain-my husband had 2 bouts with gout after taking Azilect for 2 months.. He was taking his daily med to keep uritic acid in balance at the time.
(Gout appears as swelling, redness, constant pain in the foot.)
Husband has the "tremor" type PD. Internest adjusted his meds and he has been gout free for 2 months. Neurologist said this was not a side
affect to Azilect. Anyone else on Azilect
getting the gout? ddbupper "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/09/08  7:19am
" eeek, i have foot pain too i wish i could walk around in bare feet all the time , never wearing shoes again.

My foot (right one) in the morning is so damn stiff. I feel i want someone to grab is and massage it into gello!

but after about 1/2 hour of walking around, it is fine, and loosens up

I do need an operation on that foot, bad bunion, im blaming that instead, not the pd.

Let you know in approx 1 month after a foot op, if it is the bunion, or indeed the pd.

Better be the bunion!! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web