IEP: Do all children with ADHD/ODD need one?
Hi everyone:

My son has ADHD/ODD and Type 1 diabetes. He is just finishing the first grade- by the skin of his teeth. My son has an IHP (individual healthcare plan) at school and has had one since K-4. In the middle of the year, he as dx'd with the AHDH/ODD. In times past, he have always met to go over things at the beginning and at the end of the year. For 2 years, that has been the norm, so I thought that I would just bring the ADHD and so on up at the end of the year so we could modify his plan or change it to an IEP (individual educational plan). I have tried for almost 3 weeks to talk to someone, no one is returning my emails or notes. I emailed the principle and she told me there was "not a need at this time." So, as a relatively new parent of a child with ADHD/ODD, do all or most school aged children with the condition have an IEP in place? Or do you have to make the "my child is driving his teacher crazy list?" Thanks for any help and advice.
Posted on 05/18/11, 03:05 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Parents of Children with ADHD. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 05/18/11  10:43pm
" My son doesn't qualify for one since he isn't failing at academics. He is 6 with ADHD, ODD, and has an appointment for the ADOS in June. "
Reply #2 - 05/19/11  7:55am
" I really don't know if all kids with ADHD need an IEP, I just know both of mine do. I waited until my older son was really struggling and then ran into difficulties with the school system. I really wish I didn't wait as long as I did. Unfortunately not all school systems are IEP friendly - they're not necessarily going to help you get something in place. An IEP is a legal document and once it's written the school has to comply with those services no matter what, a box they frequently don't like to be put in even if it's usually what's best for the child. Bottom line is regardless of what the principal says if a formal evaluation hasn't been done s/he doesn't have any idea what's really going on regardless of what grades your son is getting or how bright he is.

I learned there are very specific steps that need to be taken to get an IEP in place. There's a ton on the internet that explains the steps. Also please feel free to contact me if you want. I never would have made it through what was frequently a difficult experience without talking to people who had gone through it before me. "
Reply #3 - 05/19/11  7:55pm
" My daughter was just put on an IEP for the remainder of this year and all through her years in school, unless she improves. She has ADHD. She is in the 2nd grade now and has an EIP. But, we were told that there is no EIP for the 3rd grade. So we decided that if the only way she will get the extra help is going into special ed (IEP), then are going to do it. She is strong in math, but does not do well in reading and writing. I am hoping that she will improve and at some point, will not need to be on the IEP. We also get her private tutoring. The funny thing about that is that her tutor works in the same school system, but at a different school than my daughter goes to (she is a teacher, the tutor). The tutor said that my daughter would be fine without an IEP at the school she teachers at, but since our school is a "School of excellence" they expect more out of the students. Nice, huh? "
Reply #4 - 05/20/11  8:59am
" My daughter does not qualify for a Academic IEP but she does for a 504 plan. her behaviors interrupt her learning and we update 2x a year. once in sept. and once in March. "
Reply #5 - 05/20/11  10:35am
" Thanks for your advice. I am just reeling from all of this. My son's self esteem is getting to be rock bottom, because of his grades and his behavior. He says the kids think he is mean and he doesn't have very many friends at all. Do any of your kids do therapy? I don't know if it is a good idea or not. I have no experience with a child counsellor. I know that my son does not tell me everything, and he has got a "hold it in until he bursts" kind of way about him. Anything suggestions for that? Sorry. I know we are getting off topic a lttle. Thanks, bugabugsmom, for reminding me about the 504. Hope everone is doing well. "
Reply #6 - 05/20/11  12:29pm
" Talk with the school psycolgist if you have one. If you are not getting responses call the school board. My son is on IEP that started for speech, but is now ADHD(reading, writing, his anixety). It has taken alot of hounding on my part to get the ball rolling. Depending on what issues your son is having in school depends on who you really need to talk to. Principle most of the time are figure heads who don't supple the help you need. I hope this helps. "
Reply #7 - 05/20/11  1:03pm
" Both my sons have been in therapy. My younger one was having trouble with social interactions and was involved in a group for a few years which seems to have done him a world of good. My older son has just started therapy now (at almost 18) after some truly alarming episodes. His self-esteem is in the gutter too and I wish I had started him earlier. He's awfully good at covering up how he's really feeling - kind of "hold it until he bursts" himself - and I didn't realize how bad it was. "
Reply #8 - 05/20/11  1:31pm
" Thanks. I went to the school board at the beginning of the year for his diabetes. (He was dx'd with ADHD yet) The school nurse was saying that he couldn't have his glucagon emergency kit (for life-threatening low blood sugar) in his medical bag that stays with him in the classroom, on the playground, at PE, etc.. They wanted me to sign a "permission to carry" form that basically released them from all responsibility and made him responsible for keeping up with it. How is a FIRST GRADER going to keep up with this, when he can't keep up with his pencil, and how is going to administer it to himself when his blood sugar is so low he is either having a seizure or is unconscious??? I got that straightened out.

Have spoken with the principle, on several occasions and am waiting on her to get back to me on a date for a meeting to discuss everything.

The school has a guidance counselor, and a District Pyschologist. He has been to "small groups" for Anger Management, Bereavement, and Children of Divorced Parents, since he has had trouble with those things. But I don't think it is enough. I just have never gone this route with him, and his father, who raised he!! with me about getting him screened for ADHD, will not be easy to get along with. In the agreement, we both have to have access to his medical records and be privy to all doctor's visits, but I make the final decisions as primary caregiver. So, I know it will be a long road in more ways than one.

Thanks for all the support. Hope everyone has a good weekend. "
Reply #9 - 05/20/11  1:31pm
" Sorry, he was NOT dx'd with ADHD yet. "
Reply #10 - 05/20/11  6:51pm
" My son started out with a 504 plan because I thought that was the only thing we could do. Our old tutor told me about the IEP and is has been a godsend. We had to request the offical assessment through the school district and by law (at least in CA) they had to grant us the request. He qualified under the 'other mental disabilities' section or something to that effect. Our current tutor told me that we should keep up with the IEP as long as possible as it never shows up on any transcripts or school records or anything and can be extremely beneficial. My son is now is 3rd grade. If you don't already have a 504, you should at least get that in place while you find out about the IEP. "