Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
How long till xanax kicks in
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
When your having an attack how long usually does it take before the xanax helps?? Mine takes atleast 30 mins if not more..
Posted on 12/02/07, 07:35 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Panic Attacks. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/02/07  7:41pm
" Also I take .5 mg how many of these can i take a day?? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/02/07  7:47pm
" I take 1 mg twice a day so I think one of mine is like 4 of yours but I wouldn't suggest taking that many if your not used to it, as far as how long it takes it usually takes mine about 15 to 30 min. Sometimes just the fact that I took one makes me feel better instantly. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/02/07  7:48pm
" wait I think 2 of your are one of mine I dunno what color are they then I'll know for sure lol "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/02/07  9:23pm
" Not sure if this helps I can only speak from my experience. I have been taking 0.25 mg four times a day ( morning, afternoon, evening and before bed) for two years. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes for me to feel relaxed. But my anxiety is high that I need that amount. I believe I need more but I wont take more than my doctor thinks I should be taking. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/03/07  2:32am
" Here's what my pdoc told me to help the xanax get in your system quicker. Take a drink of water and make sure your mouth is wet. Chew up the xanax and then stick it between your upper lip and teeth. Leave there. It will kick in about 10 to 15 mins if not sooner. I do this when having a really bad attack. Xanax is a little bitter but you can actually get used to it. When it's been long enough take another drink of water and swallow it all. This helps it to get into your blood stream much quicker rather than going through your stomach lining. I hope this helps. As for how many to take a day I would talk to your dr about that. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/03/07  10:30am
" I used to take Klonopin, then Ativan and my recent doctor finally put me on Xanax, which is truly a lifesaver. I take .25 mg in the morning (because I drink coffee) and .25mg in the evening and I rarely get them anymore. When I do have one, I take .25mg and like clockwork, within 15 mins, it's gone. I have been on Xanax for almost a year and haven't raised my doseage. I am prescribed 2mg pills, but I cut them in quarters. I would speak to your doc about your doseage. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/03/07  12:03pm
" When I took xanax it took about 30 minutes to work. As far as how many you can take you need to take it as prescribed by your physician. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/03/07  3:26pm
" Here it is here, Ryans wife...
You are talking half a miligram. That is what .5 means. Half of 1 miligram.
(I'm almost done with nursing school, specializing in psych)
I am no Doctor, but I do know my stuff.
Okay, so...
If you want it to work faster, you place it under your tongue. This is called sublingual. No water, no nothing. Just let it disolve there. It will enter your bloodstream immeadiately. No waiting at all. Should hit almost instantly.
Now for your second question. how many can you take?
The PDR, says a person can take up to 10 mgs a day. That's a very HIGH dose, and I am certainly NOT reccomending that.
I am only answering your question, in terms of what the limits are in the PDR.
The best thing for you to do is to FOLLOW your Doctor's perscribing dose and leave it at that. IF.. you feel that it is not enough, then phone your doc and let him or her know that you are not getting adequate relief.
I hope this helped a bit.
My Best... "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web