Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
how high does your heart rate get during PAs
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have situational panic attacks when I go to the doctor. My heart sky rockets between 130 to 150 and my blood pressure goes up when I get hooked up to the blood pressure machine. Anyone else do the same? How high does your heart rate usually go up to during a panic attack? I'm 28 and have been having panic attacks for almost two years. Had a full cardio work up but I still worry that I get my heart rate up to a work out level just sitting down. My resting heart rate is usually between 60 and 70bpm
Posted on 04/07/09, 10:12 pm
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Panic Attacks. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #11 - 04/15/09  7:16pm
" Well Im not sure what my heart rate is during a panic attack but last time I went to the doc. My heart rate was 128 & it is normally 79 or 80. My BP was 136/96 also too high. I also hate when they have the cuff on me and are holding a thermometer in my mouth at the same time & my head is clearly shaking caus eIm stuck there with something on my arm & the nurses hand holding something in my mouth. Not Fun. I was also worried that I would develop hypertension for these increased numbers or heart problems. My heart is fine but my Doc put me on a blood pressure med because I was having a heart race so bad during recent panic attacks that I really thought that is was a heart attack because Id never had a panic attack so severe. I swear I could almost see my heart beating in my chest. Very Scary. I really thought that that was it and I was a goner. I run on a tread mill daily & my Doc said its fine I started off not pushing it too hard but after a few weeks Ive been able to raise my heart rate up to like 160 w/ no problem so u should be OK. Ask your Doc about BP meds makes the attacks more bareable. I take Atenolol 50 mg Im 28. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #12 - 10/09/09  12:16am
" sorry this isnt advice but sometimes when i panic my heart will beagt so fast an hard i will lie down an i can feelit beatin through my back an its like 200. im just wondering if it will kill me my doc did blood work but i just still think i goin to die "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #13 - 10/09/09  1:38am
" My first big panic attack my heart was going 191 in the E.R... My heart went into A-fib . A-fib is were your heart is out of rythm. I ended up spending the night in the Cardic Care unit. and luckily my heart went back into rythm on it's own. They said that I was low on potassium and magnesium.

So I do worry about my heart rythm and I really should not focus so much energy on it. . I am going to buy a heart rate meter, because I worry about my heart rate when I workout.

There is a poem by Robert Frost that gives me inspiration to live everyday fully

"Carpe Diem"

" Age saw two quiet children
Go loving by at twilight,
He knew not whether homeward,
Or outward from the village,
Or (chimes were ringing) churchward,
He waited, (they were strangers)
Till they were out of hearing
To bid them both be happy.
"Be happy, happy, happy,
And seize the day of pleasure."
The age-long theme is Age's.
'Twas Age imposed on poems
Their gather-roses burden
To warn against the danger
That overtaken lovers
From being overflooded
With happiness should have it.
And yet not know they have it.
But bid life seize the present?
It lives less in the present
Than in the future always,
And less in both together
Than in the past. The present
Is too much for the senses,
Too crowding, too confusing-
Too present to imagine."

Robert Frost "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #14 - 10/09/09  12:57pm
" Well I have a home bp/heart rate monitor. Complements of hypocondria. I've seen my heart rate up to about 164. But I dont know if its ever been higher.

I think its ok that your heart rate go high when your in a panic attack. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #15 - 10/14/09  2:39pm
" My blood pressure was so high yesterday...and the doctor was concerned. But she also knew that I was anxious. I was seeing an ENT and she said she was going to share the results with my regular doc. I sneaked a peak and the bottom number was 90 (it has been as high as 100)....I thought that was okay since I was anxious. However, the doctor was concerned with my top number. I didn't even see that. I am not on BP medicine. I am afraid that I am going to have to be, but don't want to be. I am just going through a stresful time for me right now. But then again, isn't every day a stressful day. I hate this anxiety stuff. I hate the way my mind takes over and makes my body react with physical symptoms. It is so depressing. Anyway..someone mentioned that the heart went into Atrial Fib. That's scary. I never heard of that. I have heard of that in people that have heart problems and have to go on meds..but never just a one time thing. So..now I will focus on that. LOL.
It's tough being us. But let's all stick together. We will get through this..one minute at a time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #16 - 10/15/09  5:34pm
" Although my heartrate is always obviously escalated during a panic attack...I have had panic episodes in which I didn't measure, but my heart was so fast it was literally like...humming. It's an incredibly scary feeling but I have been reassured by many doctors that tachycardia(fast heart rate) is safe as long as the beats are not abnormal. Then you have a whole nother issue. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #17 - 10/16/09  6:52pm
" I have a high resting heart rate anyway(it's almost always between 100 and 110). I've hit 180 during a bad panic attack. I'm amazed it hasn't gone higher due to my fast resting rate. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #18 - 10/19/09  4:45pm
" I had a panic attack in my docs office... my heart rate was 220...
I know how you feel and I sympathize with you... hugs "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #19 - 03/06/10  3:51pm
" i agree with harry, your heart can beat at 200 bpm or more without damage or anything going wrong for a long time. It isnt so much speed what people should worry about its the hearts rythem, and i dont mean skipped beats or sinus rythem, i mean REAL irregular heartbeats. a doc would know straight away if ths was the case. When a person has a pa its normal for blood pressure to shoot up and hr to increase, most of the time when i have pa's i have a rapid heartrate which i think is really high but ive never really monitored! Harry is right on another thing, if your checking and monitoring your symptoms it needs to be stoped! anxiety and panic is one big cycle but it can be broken :) "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web