Low potassium and panic attacks
Every time I get my blood taken right after a panic attack (obviously i freak when i see a needle) my potassium comes back low. But if im absolutely calm its normal.
Does anybody else have the same problem?
I've read somewhere that anxiety can cause your potassium to be low but im still obsessing over it. I woke up with leg cramps today and ansolutely freaked thinking its got to be caused by low potassium. Not sure if low potassium is causing anxiety or the other way around.
Posted on 12/11/08, 05:17 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Panic Attacks. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 12/11/08  5:32pm
" havent heard of it but I know low levels of some minerals can cause fatigue and anxiety problems
I take a daily vitamin and mineral tablet just in case I am missing something
its said some are now low on iodine, due to less consumption of salt which often had iodine added to it "
Reply #2 - 12/11/08  7:11pm
" I know my leg cramps are due to my low potassium levels. I don't know about it being assoicated with panic, but it is possible. I know they say in research that lack of B vitiams have been caused to make depression and panic worse. SOme people start on a B complex suppliment and swear their panic attacks get better. "
Reply #3 - 12/11/08  8:45pm
" your low potassium could actually be causing your anxity. It can cause you to be shaky and make your heart race. I wouldn't take a potassium suppliment without your docter's ok, but you can drink and eat foods high in potassium. It might actually help you to less anxious in general. good luck "
Reply #4 - 12/12/08  2:58pm
" Now i know why i feel better every morning after i eat a Banana....Gods perfect food! Joe "
Reply #5 - 12/23/08  10:44am
" Im going to try the potassium. I dont eat bananas and I guess I should try to. I do however take Vitamin B complex everyday and Im not real sure yet how its going to affect my anxiety, but it has helped my stress level in general.I dont get as mad near as easy as I was, and its only been 3 weeks. It takes a while for our body to be in deficit of something, so I imagine it takes a while to get it back right. "
Reply #6 - 12/24/08  8:17am
" When my panic attacks started i got blood work done and went to a cardiologist. He reviewed my blood work with me and my potassium levels were low. He gave me a holtor monitor and called me a few weeks later to review my holitor monitor results. He found that everything was fine but my heart skipped beats at different times. So i asked him what helps. He told me my since my potassium levels were kind of low try eating bananas to get more potas. and that will help my heart flutters. "
Reply #7 - 12/24/08  8:51am
" I found a website through one of the post on this site talking about how bananas help different things. And i found this part related to what your talking about. Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack. "
Reply #8 - 12/24/08  3:51pm
" i've also had lab results with low potassium levels when i've had PAs.

all i've been told is that lack of potassium does cause heart problems. i'm not sure if stressed causes K level to go down, but if your K level goes down and you get palpatations, then you'll get stressed. Either way stress can be associated with low K levels.

I don't necessarily get palpatations if I don't eat bananas though, so, I'm not going to start eating a banana every day. "