Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Xanax Dosage
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
How much do you take?

My therapist (not PhD) wanted me to get Xanax for occasional panic attacks, and my doctor prescribed saying doseage varies... some take it 2-3 times a week, others find it to be helpful 2-3 times a day. Take it when you need it.

Well, I'm through 20 pills in 10 days. It is sooo helpful, I feel so reasonable and calm. I work better, I relate to people easier. It's fantastic.

I told my therapist and she says that's WAY too much, that's an addicts dosage. What's up with that?
Posted on 08/29/08, 10:32 am
7 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Panic Attacks. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/29/08  7:00pm
" That is an odd thing for your therapist to say. What is the mg? I think your doctor should (some don't ) know what he is doing. I am prescribed it 4x a day. I do not take it 4x a day though. I would really talk to your doctor about the dosage you are on and tell him about your therapists concerns. He did give you very vague instructions. An addicts dosage is any dosage because they are abusing it, you need it, more than likely they do not....a big difference. If you have a history of abuse then there is cause for concern, I suppose. Quite a few people I know of try Klonopin first, (after all other therapies have failed) maybe you could ask your doctor about that. Klonopin was not strong enough for me. My experience with Xanax has been fine so far, but other people think it is the devil. We are all different though, react to things different. Just be careful, if you see yourself needing larger doses to get relief from anxiety, that is not good. So far that has not happened to me, thankfully. I am sure someone else will come along and be able to help. I am only speaking from my experience and people I know. Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/29/08  7:39pm
" Hey thanks Bobbi. Glad I'm not crazy. I'll call my MD and just check on it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/29/08  11:00pm
" Bobbi hit it on the head. Honestly, averaging 2 pills a day is not bad at all! Most docs prescribe it 3 times a day. I hate how the word addict is thrown around in regard to benzos, saying those on it are addicts. We aren't addicts - our bodies become used to it and we need more for it to work, so we are in a withdrawal of sorts. As long as you take it as you should, you are no addict. Perhaps something longer acting like Valium would be better for you? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/30/08  11:29pm
" Bobbi hit it right on...definitely talk to your pdoc.....there should be more specified instructions as to how many mgs you can take at one time and up to how many times a day...

ItsKimi...i can't agree with you more...i was on Klonopin and it worked great for me...helped with both the anxiety and panic attacks...it was after my daughter was killed that i started needing more each day to help with the increase of anxiety and panic...my pdoc discontinued the prescription saying i was addicted and abusing the medication....i felt like screaming at her right then and there...i was taking 1 extra pill twice a day...i needed it...i have never had a history of abusing drugs of any kind or alcohol...

now she has me on a different medication which only seems to be taking the edge off with the anxiety but doing nothing for the panic attacks...and this is after having it increased by 600mg a day....

so frustrating "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/01/08  4:51am
" HEY I AGREE WITH KIMI,THE USE OF THE WORD ADDITS IS WRONG.I HAVE NEVER TAKEN MORE THAN I NEEDED,I GO TO A PANIC ATTACK SPECILIST AND WE BOTH KNOW HOW MUCH I TAKE.MY DOCTOR WOULD HAVE ME TAKE MORE,BUT I TAKE MINE AS NEEDED,BUT EVERYDAY.I HAVE BEEN ON XANAX(AND THE GENRIC KIND) FOR A WHILE AND IT IS A ADDICTED MEDINCE.I WORRY WHY THIS LADY GAVE IT TO YOU LIKE SHE DID? TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IT.I FIND MY NEDINCE TO BE HELPING ME,AND I HAVE NEVER TAKEN ANYTHING ELSE FOR MINE IN THE YEARS I HAVE HAD PANIC ATTACKS.ITS LATE PLEASE FOR GIVE MY SPELLING.LOL LIKE BOBBI,I AM TO TAKE 4 TIMES A DAY,BUT SOMETIMES I ONLY TAKE IT 3 TIMES.IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW I FEEL.GOOD LUCK TO YOU. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/02/08  7:40am
" I also agree. My therapist and my MD told me that very rarely do people with panic disorder get addicted to benzos. Part of the reason I think may be the fact that we as panickers would worry about something like that and keep it in check. Some people with other issues such as alcholism and other addictive personalities could become addicted easier but for the average panic disorder patient it just is not generally that way. Make sure you talk to your MD!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/02/08  6:48pm
" I personally did not like Xanax at all. It did nothing for me but cause more anxiety and panic. My DR switched me to Ativan and I have noticed a huge difference. I don't know if Ativan is as addictive but it seems to do the trick for me. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web