How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Panic Attacks Information

• A panic attack is a period of intense fear or discomfort, typically with an abrupt onset and usually lasting no more than thirty minutes. Symptoms include trembling, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, sweating, nausea, dizziness, hyperventilation, paresthesias (tingling sensations), and sensations of choking or smothering. The disorder is strikingly different from other types of anxiety disorders in that panic attacks are very sudden, appear to be unprovoked, and are often disabling. An episode is often categorized as a vicious cycle where the mental symptoms increase the physical symptoms, and vice-versa...
  • Most who have one attack will have others. People who have repeated attacks, or feel severe anxiety about having another attack, are said to have panic disorder.

Panic disorder is real and potentially disabling, but it can be controlled with specific treatments. Because of the disturbing symptoms that accompany panic disorder, it may be mistaken for heart disease or some other life-threatening medical illness. This misconception often aggravates or triggers future attacks in the uninformed. People frequently go to hospital emergency rooms when they are having a panic attack, and extensive medical tests may be performed to rule out these other conditions.

Treatment for panic disorder includes medications and a type of psychotherapy known as cognitive-behavioral therapy, which teaches people about the nature of panic attacks, the cycles of negative thoughts, and demonstrated ways to interrupt the panic process.

Medications can be used to break the psychological connection between a specific phobia and panic attacks, reducing future panic attacks. Medications can include antidepressants (SSRI's, MAOI's, etc.) taken every day, or anti-anxiety drugs (benzodiazepines, e.g. -- Valium, Ativan, Xanax, etc.) during or in anticipation of panic attacks. Exposure to the phobia trigger multiple times without a resulting panic attack (due to medication) can often break the phobia-panic pattern, allowing people to function around their phobia without the help of medications. However, for minor phobias that develop as a result of the panic attack, with early detection these can be eliminated without medication through monitored cognitive-behavioral therapy or simply by reinserting oneself into the phobic activity. The decision to participate in this therapy personally or through a registered practitioner should always be left to a medical professional.

Health Blogs

Everyday I hear about another person, friend, client or colleague who is suffering from intense anxiety. It is truly a current epidemic, at least in the large metropolis in which I live. Los Angeles is certainly not unique in its high levels of stress or its fast paced lifestyle, but I do believe that its residents suffer from what so many urban ... Read More »
Early in my career I worked with chronically mentally ill patients. These were patients that suffered from profound mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, that truly impaired their daily functioning. I worked in hospitals, day treatment centers and shelters and I came to understand this type of mental illness quite well and how it can ravage a ... Read More »
Emotional awareness provides keys to improving our emotional and mental health. Like a compass guiding the way, our emotions provide direction in our lives and give us clues to move us toward emotional health. 1) Practice ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement
Community Advisors
Susan Quinn
Therapist

Latest Activity