Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Bowel problems
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Well, this is a problem I despise writing about - but I thought, put your pride aside. If someone can help, awesome!

I have major constipation problems and have almost my entire life. It's just another problem I have with my pancreatitis also. But the last two weeks it's been even worse. I've been taking my natural laxatives and softeners to try and get me going. But they haven't worked. So today I started my Miralax also. I took it twice today. Hopefully it will do the trick and I can get some relief by tomorrow.

The problem is that when I use the Miralax, it causes me major stomach cramps. I know they say it's not supposed to do that, but it sure does with me. So do the natural laxatives and softeners.

Is there anything else I could try that maybe has worked for any of you? Please understand, I take fiber tablets every day and for the past week, I've taken laxatives and softeners. So those aren't things that would help me. I need to try other things that I haven't thought about - or that my doctor hasn't thought about either.

Again, I do apologize for this subject - but it is what it is. If I can get some help, I'd be so grateful!
Posted on 09/17/09, 10:21 pm
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pancreatitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/17/09  10:33pm
" I went through the same thing about a month because I was still on a great deal of narcotics from my ERCP. I took mirolax twice a day for a week and still nothing. At wits end, and dealing with the pain associated, I did somethng I was incredibly hesitant of. I went to walgreens and bought a bottle of mag sulfate and then went to taco bell. Once I got home, I chugged the whole bottle and sure enough it worked. The means by getting the relief were not at all plesent but it worked. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/18/09  12:58pm
" I know what you mean. I guess i'm really looking for a long-term solution, something I can do that will get me regular every day. That way, i don't have to do what you suggest (and I've actually done before also). YUCK!

So any long-term suggestions for you out there? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/18/09  10:02pm
" This subject is nothing to be ashamed about. Our bodies are really a very masterfully built machine that needs fixing every once in a while.

I too have that very issue. Mine is related to the medicines I am/was taking. Of course, opiates do that as well.

I have seen many remedies. What's interesting to me is that the laxative medicines make my stomach cramp like there is no tomorrow! I am telling you that it hurts! I know where you are coming from there.

I like what this site suggests especially, "Don't rush." Look here: http://health.howstuffworks.com/hom...

Also, make sure you are well hydrated which helps the pancreas as well.

Search Google using: "Remedies for Constipation."

Good luck! Hope it all comes out okay. (Sorry, I just had that one in me.) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/06/09  12:58am
" Hello, I have diverticulitis and therefore am either constipated or have diarhhea and can't seem to reach a point where I am not straining to go to the bathroom. But I have been taking Citrical, which is an orange drink like Metamucil and I drink it 3 times a day and that has helped tremendously to help me go. I don't know if you have tried this, but it is safe to drink as often as you like as long as you like. My doctor said it is the safest drink you can take and is not harsh like regular laxatives. Hope this helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/06/09  8:54am
" Thanks for all the help, folks! I'm going to try Miralax again, taking it once a day in my morning coffee, then taking 2 natural laxatives and 3 softeners at night. We will see how that goes.

And HealthySquid, that was too funny! I needed a laugh! Thank you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/05/09  12:06am
" i have had this same problem most of my life and being treated with narcotics only makes it worse. What I have done is started taking sennosides morning and night. I buy 100 tablets of natural vegetable laxative, sennosides, for $4 at Walmart. i take two to three tablets morning and night. if this fails to work, i resort to Exlax or a generic form thereof on the third day.

i have tried Miralax and it gives me gas and abdominal discomfort. Fiber laxatives do not work and actually make me feel worse. i've discussed my regimen with my IM doctor and he said as long as i don't use the Exlax more often than 3 to 4 days apart, he has no problem with it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/05/09  6:13pm
" My pain doctor told me yesterday at my appt to take 2 Senna tablets at bedtime everyday- and not to worry about taking laxatives because prevention is what you're going for. Because once it happens, it's worse for your body. Also, even though exercise is painful I get on the exercise bike for 10 minutes a day. I went from going once every 1-2 days to twice a day just like that! I also have ulcerative colitis so I have to be careful of any added problems to my bowels. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/23/10  2:01am
" I thought I was the only one with the constipation problem given that this had never been an issue for me. Noone has indicated that they have tried the old remedy of eating prunes? This didn't help alone this time. I used Milk of Magnesia and ExLax's "new" chocolate laxative. No cramps with these two remedies...my appetite hadn't been good during the weeks preceding the constipation. The stool was very dry and caused some bleeding which scared me to death, " Oh boy, now I not only have CP but can add colitis to the mix!" Anyway, after four horribly painful, nauseous days, I finally had a normal bowel movement and my appetite is returning. The OTC hemmoroidal suppositories helped with lubricating and swelling...give them a try next time, too. I eat plenty of fiber in bran cereals, fresh fruit, beans. Tomorrow slated for CT Scan./abdominal/pelvic due to the every morning nausea...no pain thank God, but the damn nausea stops me dead the minute I wake up in the a.m. and then have to take a Zofran, eat a couple of cracker and some of the syrup in canned fruit cocktail or mandarin oranges. It works actually, but takes a couple of hours to subside. Well, have talked way too much, but it is comforting to talk to people who can relate to what we are going through. Hope you all have a great day tomorrow with less pain! Hugs to all, Suzann "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/23/10  1:39pm
" I have the same problem. I can go for weeks without a bowel movement. My husband is constantly asking me, "did you poop yet?" LOL! It is a regular question for him to ask me this. But..... I stopped taking this stuff when I had tests ran and it works and it is organic! It is called Heathers Tummy Fiber. You can google it. I go everyday now. I have referred everyone to this stuff. I guess because it is all natural, this is the reason why I like it so much. It is tastelest too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/23/10  1:45pm
" Here is the link to the tummy stuff. http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/supl... "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web