Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Botox injections into the sphincter of the oddi
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anybody had any experience of this procedure ??
And did it do anything for you ???
Posted on 09/27/11, 02:25 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pancreatitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/27/11  7:24pm
" I have never heard of it. My only concern is that it is probably risky and it will not last so you will have to have it done often.

Can you explain what you know about it. Am I right to think that it would only last 6 months at most? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/28/11  12:27pm
" Everything has a risk,estimated 3/6 months relief.it will be done to hopefully delay the next ercp/stent placement.Apparently it has not been authorized for use in the US !!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/28/11  5:57pm
" You're the first I've heard of it, too. Please keep us posted. I hope it brings you some releif. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/28/11  9:08pm
" I have done research on the web and i cant find anything about it....do you have a website on it? I am also wondering how invasive that would be and dangerous since you are injecting botulism into an area with enriched blood supply. I for one would rather be in pain then have that injected into me....but thats my personal opinion. Please read up on it and talk to doctors...this is something not to be taken lightly.
hugs "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/29/11  1:54pm
" WOW they use Botox these days for everything...not sure if that is good or bad, but off topic my friend has had severe neck problems and she actually went and got botox shots for that, but she said it did nothing for her except left her with a huge bill to pay :( I do hope that maybe this will help some of you in the future. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/29/11  2:50pm
" Not good at links but has beed developed at John hopkins medicine in the US !!!!!!

Overview
The goal of treatment is to reduce sphincter of Oddi pressure, thereby improving drainage of biliary and pancreatic secretions into the duodenum. This may be accomplished through medical, endoscopic, or surgical therapy.

Medical Therapy
Medical therapy for sphincter of Oddi dysfunction is an attractive approach mainly because it is noninvasive (as compared with endoscopic or surgical therapy), thereby avoiding the occasionally severe complications of sphincterotomy. Because the sphincter of Oddi is composed of smooth muscle, it is reasonable to assume that drugs that relax smooth muscle may be effective in patients with sphincter of Oddi dyskinesia and not in patients with papillary stenosis. Agents such as calcium channel blockers and long-acting nitrates have been shown to reduce sphincter of Oddi basal pressure and improve symptoms. However, there are several drawbacks to medical therapy. First, side effects may be seen in up to one-third of patients. Second, a response rate of only about 75% is expected in patients with the spastic-type of sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Third, medical therapy utilizing muscle-relaxing agents is not expected to be effective in the patient with papillary stenosis. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/29/11  2:50pm
" google sphincter of the oddi and botox "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/29/11  3:19pm
" This is a
better quote !

Recent success has been reported using botulinum toxin (Botox) injections to reduce sphincter of Oddi pressure and to improve bile flow dynamics (Figure 16). This technique, pioneered at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, has shown promise both as a diagnostic and therapeutic modality. The mechanism of action of Botox occurs at the nerve endings within the sphincteric muscle. Botox inhibits the release of acetylcholine (a neurotransmitter), preventing the contraction of the muscle (Figure 17). "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web