Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
What does it feel like
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
What exactly does the pain of chronic pancreatitis feel like? What causes it to be worse? What helps you feel better? What sort of prognosis is there for Chronic pancreatitis with treatment, etc...? Is there a transplant available for the pancreas?
Posted on 11/01/07, 05:55 pm
21 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pancreatitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/02/07  5:25pm
" I'm not sure about chronic, but acute feels like the worst heartburn you can imagine, times a thousand. I imagine chronic would be heartburn-ish when you eat, pain after eating, high in the abdomen.
netdoctor.co.uk says:
"It can be difficult to distinguish pain caused by pancreatitis from pain caused by a peptic ulcer, irritable bowel syndrome, angina pectoris, gallstones."
after what i've been through these six weeks, i say talk to your doctor about ANY pain. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/06/08  4:40pm
" when i first experienced it i thought i was having a heart attack coz the pain in my lower chest was so bad and as it got worst and i got more ill i thought i was actually dying! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/06/08  11:29pm
" When I got got my first attack it felt like everything inside me was trying to use one pore to leave my body at the same time. Like I was going to explode and it was all in one spot inside me. I told my 5 year old Nephew that it felt like a watermelon was being pushed in and out of my bellybutton. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/22/08  8:29pm
" the pain was about 4" below the center of my rib cage. It was awful.
Also, I was very bloated and felt like I'd eaten a horse, even though I'd eaten nothing. I stood on the scale, expecting to have gained a ton of weight, only to find that I'd lost 11 lbs.
What causes the pain? fats, in my case. It came on over a period of a few days and kept escalating. The Thursday before I was sent (by my Dr.) to the ER, I had eaten some bean dip and 10 bite sized tortilla chips. 100% not good for pancreatitis. Cheese, salsa, and refries. An hour or so later the pain hit. I was sweating bullets, my heart was racing and I had my arms crossed across my abdomen and was rocking. That's when I knew I was in trouble.
As far as prognosis? I don't have a clue. I am a tea totler and I don't have gall stones. And I don't have a clue what lies ahead for me.
I don't know how long I have to live bland....I love jalapenos, hot sauces, spices, pickles...and they are all off the table for me, at least for now. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/13/08  1:12am
" In my case I had acute pancreatitis and the Dr. said once you get it, it's possible for it to turn into cronic pancreatitis. I was told to watch for high fever, naseua, vommiting and intense pain in upper abdomin. It felt like it was in the middle just under my ribs in the middle meaning above my belly button and also in the middle between my back and my stomach. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/13/08  1:15am
" Oh yea, I don't know much about treatment but when I was in the hospital in Boston Mass my husband said he heard they were the first hospital to do a sucessfull pancreas transplant. Not sure how true it is or about the details due to I was unconcious. The hospital is called Beth Isreal maybe you can look into it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/26/08  2:13am
" I can tell you what chronic feels like. It constant nevr ending pain in various degrees that never seems to go away. Sometime it fells like a dull pain in your chest and other time it so back you feel it in your back too. It used to drop me to the floor hissing and drooling sometimes cause the pain was so bad I couldn't even swallow. mine was cuase by a doble stricture (blockage) in my bile ducts from my liver and pancread. My pancreas ate its self up so bad i needed to have half of it removed in a major surgery or it would have killed me. That worst case though. I feel a lot better now and the creon 10 I take helps me with food. As far as treatment. there are a few things they can do. One of which is to sever the nerve that transmits the pain from the pancreas to the brain. Watching what you eat and keeping low fat diets that are high in carbs and protein, and absolutly do not drink any alcohol. Talk to your doctor about it. There are a few more approaches available too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/10/08  8:55pm
" For me if I eat there's terrible pain(acute) the it became chronic (like mentioned)and my weight dropped from 135lbs.to 106lbs. very quickly, and Im 5'10''.If I ate it became excruciating "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 06/10/08  8:55pm
" For me if I eat there's terrible pain(acute) the it became chronic (like mentioned)and my weight dropped from 135lbs.to 106lbs. very quickly, and Im 5'10''.If I ate it became excruciating "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 06/10/08  8:55pm

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web