Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Is this chronic pancreatitis?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi all! I just joined because I think I might have chronic pancreatitis. I recently turned vegetarian, January 1st, and I gained a HUGE addiction to avocados. Like I might eat 3 or 4 whole avocados in one day. (I also might add that I am predisposed to pancreas problems due to my Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and predisposition to diabetes). A month after this new diet change I got a HORRENDOUS stomach ache that lasted all day long and had me in bed with a fever. It was so horrible, the next time I got it i decided to do yoga for 2 hours and that helped tremendously. I thought it was a lack of vitamin B-12 and started to drink enriched soy milk. I also cut down on the avocados becuase I wanted ot lose weight, so i started cooking low fat vegan meals. So I thought the soy milk was working, but I didnt' realize the avocados could be the culprit, until this past weekend. I went out of town and we went to a lot of restaurants, I had SOOOO much avocados and guacamole, and I drank lots of wine. It's now been 4 days of this stomach ache. It's so horribly painful. I am in tears writhing in pain a few hours after I eat, especially something with avocados in it. If I dont eat anything at all I'm alright, and If I eat food that's low in fat It only kind of hurts. Its a constant distended stomach with intense "cramps" that are felt in the pit of my stomach more on the left side and it radiates into my back, and reminds me of labor pains! Last night it started hurting in my lower back on the right side, which makes me think of gallstones, but I'm not sure. I'm just at a loss. I'm so scared of the doctor by the way and I really want to try and fix things naturally if possible. I also do'nt want to be completely wrong and just have gas or something, but it really hurts horribly! And this stomach ache returns and is the exact same every time it returns. Does this sound like pancreatitis? I just wanted to hear from someone who knows they have pancreatitis, just to know if i'm on the right rack. Thanks!
-Staci
Posted on 03/17/09, 01:29 pm
6 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Pancreatitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/18/09  9:29am
" you really need to get to dr and get blood drawn asap.it could be so many things!allergies to food ,virus,irritable bowel,ulcer etc etc. even bloodwork is not the be allend answer but i have learned over the years to not jump the gun and research something you're not sure you even have. i have had chronic panc.for 20 yrs and that took 1 yr to diagnse by the time they did labs,ultrasounds,endoscopies and the last test was the one that was the clincher.please don't make yourself crazy before you get to dr.ive 3 longstanding chronic diseases-panc, seizures from beign brain tumor high blood pressure and am being worked up for an muscular disorder as we speak .it has taken 2 months so far and i don't have an answer for that one. good luck and get to dr or er or walkin- center. it can certainly help you to sort this out! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/18/09  11:27am
" Hi,
My twin sister had horrible pain after eating avocados. The wine didn't help either. As posted before you need to get to the MD. Try clear liquids until you get to the doctor. You need to eat small low fat meals. It could be a number of things going on. My sister had to have her gallbladder out then we found out she had a malformation of the pancreas from birth when she continued to have pain. She had a whipple in Oct of 0/7 due to the head of the pancreas had a tumor.
Good luck to you and get the help you need.
Pat "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/18/09  11:43am
" Thanks guys! I went to Urgent Care yesterday just to make sure it wasn't appendicitis, my blood work had no elevated White blood cell counts and my urine they said was fine. So I'm going to a doctor today to get a pevlic exam and a recommendation for an abdominal ultrasound. The lady at the Urgent Care said it sounds like gallstones, and she doesn't think it would be pancreatitis since I'm not a heavy drinker and I've never had it before. So we'll see! Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/18/09  9:09pm
" For some reason it does lean towards gallbladder instead of panreatitis. Avocado's are a high fat item, combine that with alcohol and spells disaster for gall bladder and pancreas alike. Someone already mentioned clear liquid diet for several days and I agree. Take it easy on overdosing on certain foods and definitely reduce alcohol. If it is pancreatitis then alcohol will be forever on your do not consume list. Good luck to you and be careful. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/18/09  9:15pm
" Now it's not gallstones. The doctor today said lactose intolerant, but I didn't mention dairy at all. Doctors drive me crazy, and they don't listen well. I have an ultrasound referal, and I just got more blood drawn. I have no clue what it is. I'm baffled. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/21/09  11:48am
" Well, whatever it may be, the common consensus is to quit drinking any alcohol immediately. This includes things like NyQuil as it contains up to 6% alcohol. Alcohol aggravates not only the pancreas but other organs in the body.

Other than that, if it is an issue with the pancreas, a clear liquid diet will certainly help. Also, eat less than 20 mg per day of total fat no matter what the kind of fat is.

I hope you get diagnosed. 10% of the chronic pancreatitis patients never find a cause for the disease. It is called ideopathic pancreatitis. I wish you luck! "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web