Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Pancreatic Divisum Diet Suggestions??!
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was just diagnosed with Pancreatic Divisum. I'm a 44 year old female and after two bouts of pancreatitis, I now feel I'm in a world of unknowns of what to eat to keep this from happening again. For how "common" this condition supposively is, I am finding it difficult locating any suggestions on what to eat. Sure, low-fat, low-protein, alcohol in moderation..but what does that mean? I have found a GI doctor but can't get an appt for 4 weeks (was just released from the hospital this past Sunday). Does anyone have any recommendations on this? Is alcohol totally out of the question? My pancreatitis hit so suddenly that I am a bit fearful now of what has triggered this after 44 years of being just fine. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. THANK YOU!
Posted on 03/30/11, 12:24 pm
4 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Pancreatitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/30/11  8:36pm
" Do NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALCOHAL CAN SET OFF A PANCREATIC FLARE...
PEOPLE WITH PANCREATITIS HAVE DIED FROM DRINKING...................THIS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS. And I didn't mean to "yell" I just wanted to emphasize how bad it can be. But you have founf a great re-source here as well as a GREAT PLACE for support. I hope yur feeling better.

David "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/30/11  9:08pm
" Thank you, David. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. i had no idea that a glass of wine or an occasional beer could be so harmful. I have been drinking my whole adult life (in moderation) and this is all just so new to me. Wow ~ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/31/11  11:11am
" I am 45 years old and last year I too found out I have Pancreatic Divisum. I had some symptoms like poor digestion and bloating. Then I would get this pushing feeling in my back. I never had a full blown attack. I have had two procedures to cut and stent the duct both only lasted 3 months and made things worse. I only discovered I had chronic when I had an ERCP. I am a mild case.
What you stated is true low fat, low protein, no alcohol. No one has given me a real answer about my future, it is a progressive disease but I have been about the same for 1.5 year now. Some days are better then others. There is no medicine that can make it better except enzymes which are not even a medicine. They help with digestion so your pancreas does not have to work as hard. They sell them in the health food store or you could get a prescription for them I take Creon it is a prescription. Pain medication helps with pain but does not help the condition. So really the future is unknown just do your best to not make it worse. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/31/11  5:41pm
" Alcohol is totally out of the question!!!!! There are not many things on the internet regarding a pancreatitis diet. It is pretty much trial and error. My husband's dr stated to cut out all red meats, fried foods, and high fat foods. So we have gone to strickly eating chicken, turkey, and pork. He quit all soda's because they cause him to have pain, he had to stop eating peanut butter because it causes him to have pain. The one thing I have learned is to keep my pantry full of broth. His dr prescribed him Creon 6 which is an enzymene, and I honsetly believe those little pills are what have kept us out of the hospital for the past 4 months. Before he got those we were in the hospital once a month for no less than 3 days. I found a website, it is the National Pancreas Foundation, they have receipes on there other stories, doctors, its a great website, maybe check that out. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web