Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
I'm very confused about what to eat for pancreatis
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was just in the hospital for 10 days. They had me NPO for 4, then clear for 2, then regular and then no fats. I was told to not eat meat of cheese or eggs and I am wondering what to eat for protein!! Any advice would be great!! :)
Posted on 12/16/10, 05:32 pm
7 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Pancreatitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/18/10  12:03am
" If you go to Nestles' website you can order Boost protien drinks that are pretty good; these helped me a lot. I have not had problems with eating eggs as long as I scrabble them and cooked them in the microwave (no oil or frying). "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/18/10  3:00am
" Hi LuAnn

Food is a very individual with Pancreatitis. Some people can tolerate things that others can not. I can eat eggs with no problem, but others can't. It pays to keep a food diary to figure out which food give you pain and which don't. Other sources of protein are skinless chicken, low-fat cottage cheese and bean, lentils etc. Red meat is really hard for the pancreas to digest. Just keep to a low fat, moderate protein and high carb diet. Try to eat six small meals a day and opposed to three big meals. Large meals are really hard on the pancreas.

I hope this has been a little helpful.

Kirstie xxx "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/18/10  3:05pm
" Thank you so much for the information. I wondered about Boost or Ensure. Right now I am having a lot of pain so I am sticking to broth and jello. I hope the pain will settle down. I am suppose to have an ERCP Jan 7th. I'm kind of scared mostly not knowing what to expect and seeing that sometimes it causes pancreatitis! :(
Hope you are having a pain free day!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/18/10  3:11pm
" Kirstie, Thank you for your kind answer. I am so new to this and am in pain right now. I am so afraid to eat the wrong thing but since I am in pretty much pain I imagine I should stay with broth, jello and white rice.I may try and egg since 2 of you had reccomended them but I am goning to waite a while. I really have very little appetite and that makes it hard to eat period but I see that several small meals are important. What carbs do you eat? Thanks for your help. I'm just a little overwhelmed since 2 weeks ago I was eating anything I wanted. This just happened so quickly. Is that usual or do you know?? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/19/10  9:30pm
" @LuAnnK: I am in a similar position. Till last week, I could eat anything. Now it is a new beginning! It appears that the the best approach is to minimize stress on the pancreas. This means, low fat and low sugar diet. Avoid processed foods. No cheese, sweets or heavy carb loads such as pasta. Try cooked fresh veggies (Kale, squash, carrots etc.) in soups and stews. Absolutely No alcohol.

Some studies have touted the benefits of antioxidants. . If you have a local co-op or whole-foods store, check out their supplements section. Many Traditional Chinese and Indian (Ayurvedic) herbs are well known for their anti-inflammatory properties (e.g. ginger, turmeric).

Also, as it has been pointed out, frequent smaller meals as opposed to larger fewer meals might also put less stress on the pancreas. Some people are also taking digestive enzyme supplements to reduce pancreatic stress.

All the best. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/20/10  6:25am
" Hello LuAnneK! Welcome to this forum. I have Chronic Pancreatitis due to my second ERCP last October 8, 2008. I was in the hospital also for 10 days at that time and they did not allow me to eat beacause my pancreas was swollen. 2009 was not my good year because I could hardly eat anything. Now, this year is better with the help of the enzyme CREON 24000, 2-3 with meals and 1 for snacks. I think you better off of eating chicken/beef broth, jello, boost (that was I'm drinking when I lost so much weight) ensure or any bland food that will not trigger pain. Keep on reading on this forum so that you can get more ideas also from the people who have different experienced in pancreatitis, wether it is acute or chronic or even just flare ups. Take care and I hope your ERCP in January will turn out good! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/29/11  2:49pm
" I eat lots of black beans (low sodium) and white rice. It's really good and it contains protein. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web