Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Scared
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I haven't quite been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, but it is a real possibility. I found a mass on my right side and had it checked out a couple of days ago. I heard from my dr. yesterday and she stated that ovarian cancer is a real possibility so I have an appt with an oncologist on Wednesday that specializes in this kind of thing. Of course I won't know for sure what is going on until I have surgery, but just the idea of cancer is shocking!

I'm terrified! I'm 36, single and find that I am too young to start thinking about dying!

I need to know what I should expect. What road do I have ahead of me?

I'm hoping after Wednesday that I have an appt for surgery to get this mass out. Honestly, I would have it tomorrow if I could and this waiting around thing is really weighing on me.

Before I found out about this I was doing fine! I try to lead a healthy life by eating right and even started training for a triathlon, but now that I know what is going on with me I feel tired, achy (back and neck), sick, etc. I'm still going to try my hardest to continue to train because I feel I owe myself that. I feel being as healthy as I can be can only help the situation, right?

Please if there is anyone out there that can shed some light on this situation I would great appreciate it!
Posted on 11/19/11, 08:27 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Ovarian Cancer. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/19/11  10:32pm
" I am so very sorry that you are going through this, but there are a lot of women here who can shed insight into your situation. Have you had the Ca-125 blood test? transvaginal ultrasound? CT Scan? These tests are usually done when a mass is present. Some masses can be suspicious but I remember my gyn/oncologist telling me that they never can tell whether it's cancer until surgery. There are benign masses also. The most difficult part is the waiting. I wish you all the best! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/19/11  11:20pm
" Thank you for your comment. I have had a transvaginal ultra sound, but no CT scan or blood test. What is the Ca-125 blood test show? I know there are benign tumors as well, but my dr stated that given the size (20cm) and structure that it was probably cancerous. The two drs I've seen have both stated that they'll probably no nothing until surgery.

Yes, this waiting part is awful. My mind is racing about what my life will be like in the coming months/weeks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/20/11  10:06am
" The Ca-125 is a tumor marker. It is not 100% reliable, but the gyn oncologists use it as a guide for diagnostics as well as after treatment surveillance. If you haven't had these done yet, I bet the oncologist will order them. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/20/11  12:05pm
" It is indeed very rough going through the process of being diagnosed. Once you know what you are facing, things somehow become easier. Mykidsrock has given you good advice. I was diagnosed almost four years ago - actually, too, women with large masses are often lower stages than those of us with multiple abdominal masses and, as MKR, said, there are many benign large cysts. You information is right in that they can't absolutely say until a biopsy. It's a real "bummer" to have all this looming over the Thanksgiving holiday. This was my situation, too; but, you will get through it. Try not to think too far ahead; cancer is a life-changing situation but you really aren't sure it is cancer yet. In any case, we do what we have to do and we get through this - you will, too. In the meantime, prayers and good wishes, xxJanet "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/23/11  12:19pm
" I just wanted to add my experience for something positive to look towards. About 9 months ago I found out that I have a family with oc, fibroid and a cyst on my ovary, and a small uncomfortable symptom(bleeding a week after my period). Last week I had a full hysterectomy and the biopsy showed no cancer. Without these cells in my body, my chance of developing oc has been greatly reduced.

I am 53, and have never wanted to have children, so that loss is not a tragedy for me. You haven't mentioned that but it may be something you'll have to think about - or not. I am alive again and can go on. I know I have almost 20 years on you, but I too feel I am too young to die. I don't know when that ever changes. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/25/11  8:33am
" Great news. I had my appt with the oncologist on Wednesday and she is 95% certain that the mass is benign. I'll have surgery in the next few weeks to get the mass out. Thank you for all the support. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/25/11  8:40pm
" What a relief!!! Good luck with your surgery! I'm sure it will go well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/26/11  4:52pm
" That is good news. Thanks for telling us. We like to hear good news stories. Good luck with the surgery. Carol "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web