Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
how were you diagnosed?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi

I have been in excruciating pain for a week. I had it a few months ago too. Same place, lower left abdomen. Yesterday I finally went to emergency and was there all day. three different people did the ultrasound and they were discussing it while they did it. One was a dr. the others were ultrasound techs. They couldn't decide what they were seeing. When they finally sent their report back to emerg it said I had a cyst on my ovary that had burst and that caused something, probably blood to fill the fallopian tube. They gave me morphine etc. for pain and did a pelvic exam. They seemed unsure of what was really wrong and how can they tell if the cyst has burst? I am still worried and have pain. Just hoping someone can give me advice or tell me if this sounds familiar. How do they diagnose ovarian cancer? Also I have a huge fibroid tumor - 20 cm. Thanks!
Posted on 06/10/11, 05:39 pm
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Ovarian Cancer. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/10/11  8:38pm
" My first symptom was bloating. I looked 6 months pregnant. An ultrasound found the "cyst" on my left ovary. It was 20 cm. After seeing a gynecologist I was scheduled for a CT. The CT strongly suspected cancer. However, it took the surgery to confirm it.

When do you see your dr. again? I understand fully the being scared. Perhaps yours is a ruptured cyst.

Please keep us updated. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/10/11  9:57pm
" Hi again,

Thanks for answering me. This is so depressing on top of everything else. I will try to see my gyn on Monday or else I am instructed to go back to emerg to see a gyn there. I just don't understand why I have such a huge fibroid as well as a burst ovarian cyst as well as a clogged fallopian tube! I feel like the whole area is under attack. And yes I am bloated like crazy. Look like I am pregnant. The doctor doing the ultrasound kept saying it could be an ectopic pregnancy and I kept saying impossible (no sex for a long while). "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/11/11  1:56pm
" I had pain in my lower back. I figured I had pulled a muscle at the gym. I toned down my workouts and over the course of one week the pain was so incredibly unbearable that driving over a slight crack in the road caused tears! I went to the ER and they did all sorts of tests, including a pelvic ultrasound. (I figured they were just nuts... the pain was in my back... why were they searching down there?!)
They told me it was a cyst and I needed to see my GYN ASAP. We decided to remove the cyst surgically and this was when my gyn realized it was more than just a cyst. That surgery turned into biopsy that led to my diagnosis.
Be diligent in your search for answers. You are your best advocate. If you feel they are not clearly answering your questions, be persistant. There is no reason for you to feel unsure about your own health. Don't hesitate to get a second opinion. Also, I recommend bringing someone along to your appointments (if you feel comfortable). This has ALWAYS helped me since I tend to get emotionally tripped up. I wish you all the best. And please be sure to keep us updated! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 06/11/11  2:36pm
" I also had terrible bloating and abdominal distension. My primary sent me foe an ultraound and CA125 the same morining I went to see her. By the time she called me that afternoon she had already sent my results to a gynecoligical/oncoligist. She had me admitted to the hospital that same day and I had Ct scans and surgery 2 days later. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/11/11  2:52pm
" I was diagnosed when the doctor felt ovarian masses on a well-woman check. I went annually, and never missed one. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/13/11  8:16am
" Hi
I had horrible abdominal pain, which seemed to be gas and was awaiting an appointment with a gastroenterologist. Two months later, the pain was worse and I went to a walk in doctor who prescribed a CT scan. I always had a few fibroids but new tumors were visible.Heordered an immediate hysterectomy and debulking and I`ve been on chemo for three years. Wishing you the best! xxxLinda "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/13/11  10:12am
" Hi,
I am a 9 yr survivor of Stage 3C OVCA. I was in remission for 5 1/2 yrs and then had an occurrence on a lymph node. There are MANY symptoms for OVCA---bloating, feeling full after a small meal, urinary frequency, back or leg pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, pelvic discomfort or pain, change in bowel habits, loss of appetite, persistent indigestion, gas or nausea. You need not have all the symptoms but if you have any that persist for 2-3 wks they should be checked out.
I had shortness of breath and back pain.
I would suggest you see a gynecologic oncologist to rule out an possible serious problems. It sounds like you have a lot going on.
Best of luck to you.
Sandy "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/16/11  2:43pm
" When I was 19 I had a horrible pain in my stomach like you. They did tons of blood work and ultrasounds. Finally they found a mass and decided to do surgery to remove it. It took them 5 days to determine that it was cancer. They sent my tumor to 5 different places to figure out what it was. I had a very rare form of ovarian cancer. But that was 13 years ago. I have had 3 kids since then. They caught it early enough that I only had to have the one ovary and tube removed and then i did 4 months of chemo. i wish you the best of luck!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 06/17/11  1:20pm
" I thought I had a kidney infection and had already made an appointment to go to my doctor for it. The night before I was in so much pain - left side and lower back. My ob/gyn is my primary care physician. I decided to have my yearly exam while I was already in the office fo the kidney infection. I truely believe that this is the decision that saved my life. He found the tumor while he was doing my exam. The next day I went for an ultra sound at the hospital and during my test I could tell by the face of the technician that something was wrong. I finally asked and they indicated that they did not even see my left ovary - the tumor was the size of a softball and was covering the ovary. I took the CA125 test which showed NO indication of cancer. I went into surgery a few weeks later expecting to come out with a basic complete hysterectomy only to wake up to a cancer diagnosis. This is what changed my life forever. I woke up to a room full of people that were not supposed to be there so I knew at that point that something was terribly wrong. It took quite a while to sink in. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 06/17/11  9:19pm
" Thank you all very much. I am still waiting to see my gyn/obs as she is away on holiday! Not sure about going back to ER as the pain is much better now. I had it in March for four days and now again last week. The lower left area is still tender to touch but not nearly like the excruciating pain last week. Did anyone have this where the pain comes and goes? I really appreciate your sharing your stories with me. It is pretty scary. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web