Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
3-year-old has taken over
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Okay, my 3 1/2 year old was diagnosed with ODD about a year ago. He has been seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist since that time. He has no other conditions along with that. He is getting worse and worse every single day! I can no longer take him even to the grocery store with me no matter how short of a trip it is. Dr.'s appointments are a nightmare! I have done everything that his Dr's have suggested and nothing helps. They say that he is to young for prescriptions and have me giving him fish oil in the morning and Benadryl to help him sleep. He screams at the top of his lungs all day long. He throws stuff. He breaks stuff. He hurts his 1 year old brother. He hurts me. He will hit complete strangers out in public. Cusses everyone he sees. Tells me he hates me, wants me to buy him a new Mommy, etc. We have tried taking things away, sitting in a corner, standing in a corner, going to bed, going to his room, everything imaginable. I cannot visit family or friends because of the way he acts, and if they come visit they only come after he is in bed. I have been forced to take an at-home job and had to switch from on-campus classes to online classes, because a babysitter is out of the question. He stays up until 1 or 2 in the morning and is up no later than 7, and gets up a few times during the night. I have had to end a long-term relationship because he is unbearable to be around.

Does anyone have a similar story or some ideas that I could try? I have tried everything that me and 3 mental health Dr's can think of.
Posted on 04/14/09, 01:23 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/14/09  7:49pm
" if you are interested in the wholistic way, melatonin is supposed to help calm children down at night.

BUT, personally, i would get another doctor. My son was diagnosed at 3 1/2 and started meds not too long after. he started on ritlin and after 6-7 months we had to change to focalin. he's now 6 and on 20 mg. Along the way we had to add another med to help stabilize. I hate having him on meds but he's finally doing well behaviorwise in school. I was really afraid for him to start kindergarten, but with hard work and meds, he's really progressing. You have to find a psych who treats young children. Most start at 6 years old. I found one who would help at 4. my ped gave meds at 3 1/2 after me visiting with 3 separate psych.'s keep looking, keep searching. Look into a neurologist also. I'm about to visit one for the first time. Sometimes, they can get a more complete picture....
good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/14/09  11:39pm
" sounds just like my daughter she is on Ritalin during the day and melatonin and catapres at night she never slept until she went on the melatonin lucky to get 4 hours a night until she was 6 and started the meds. I would go and see another doctor and get another opinion "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/15/09  12:17pm
" get another opinion, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/15/09  1:36pm
" how does he deal with men? is he angry with them. maybe he needs a good strong compassionate man in his life. how is his dad? i'm not judging. i am the mother of two boys and they rely on their father for much different things than what i can give them.

i just posted a question about sugar addiction and odd. my son has been diagnosed with odd. the hate comments, the killing comments, have all stopped since i took a strict look at his diet. he stays home alot now and only i have control over his diet. i have seen MANY withdrawal symptoms. it was HARD to remove the sugar from his body. he was just as your described your son is. this has given me time to understand that the last 5 years i have neglected his emotional needs because i was so focused on his next blowup. i now bend over to talk to him, we don't yell as much, and we tell each other how much we love each other. after five years of pure hell i have a different son. i have to maintain my diet control on him and that gets difficult everyday. he can't even eat fast food. it's packed with sugar. i would much rather stay home and love him, than have that child back that i spent five years trying to understand.

the docs were getting ready to put him on everything they could think of. i had to do something. and this has worked. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/15/09  7:59pm
" I am trying to locate a child psychiatrist somewhere near me. It appears that the closest one is 4 hours away and cannot see him for 7 months, but I'll take it.

Men are the ONLY people who will remotely listen to at all. His father is not a good figure in his life. Kaiden goes to his paternal grandparents once a week (because they think devote every waking minute to pleasing him, and don't see the problem) and his father lives next door, yet comes over about 5 minutes. Doesn't buy gifts on the holidays, and certainly doesn't try to help me establish rules and consequences. I was with someone since he Kaiden was just a little baby, and we were forced to split up just recently as Kaiden told horrible lies to people about him. He acts the same way towards men and women, but if a man uses a stern voice with him, he will at least hesitate with what he is doing.

Do any of you that give your child no how much I would give him, and when?

Thank you all for your comments! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/29/09  1:07pm
" Melatonin worked wonders for my adopted son, who I believe has ODD. It's been almost 2 yrs (he was 6 when he began taking it) since he began taking it and I noticed an immediate (by that I mean IMMEDIATE--next day 'immediate') difference in his behaviors. His temper tantrums just about disappeared along with his inability to handle any type of excitement (either good or bad). His teacher didn't know that I began using it and sent home a note telling me that he had a great week at school that first week.

His pediatrician and also a psychiatrist that he had just begun to see told me to go ahead and keep using it since it was helping him and it was such a benign medicine. They weren't sure if it helped him because he was getting a better night's sleep or if it was actually helping his moods. I use it for one of my dog's because it is supposed to help them with thunder/noise phobias.

He takes 3 mg (since your son in younger you could start out with 1+1/2 mg), by mouth, just before bedtime. He falls asleep in a very short time (20 minutes or so) compared to before when he would lay there staring at the ceiling for a few hours before falling asleep. You can also get it in the form of drops, which may be easier for a child who can't swallow pills. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/29/09  1:09pm
" Ooops, sorry, my son was just turning 7 yrs old when he began with the melatonin...not 6 yrs as I stated in the above post....duh...lol! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/30/09  8:36pm
" I agree with Melatonin and also about getting a second opinion. I know how frustrating it is. My son is seeing 5 doctors (counselor, therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist and his medical doctor. Nothing is working that they recommend. I finally had enough when I called my dad and told him that I needed a police officer to come and talk with him, I don't know what he said but it has calmed my son. It's been a week now and though he still outburst, he is doing much better. Can you have a male talk with him?? Good luck "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web