Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
ODD child is destroying my family
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
7 year old stepson.

He has been in my life for more than 6 years.

Currently sees a psychiatrist, who prescribes medication for ODD, ADHD, Mood Disorder, and general delays in learning.

Largest problems is the lies that he tells others about his family life. Lies such as "My parents make me sleep covered in spiders" "My parents dont feed me" "My parents didnt allow me to participate in family events"

Lies have been so bad, that child services became involved. They have since seen the medical records and no wrong-doing on our part.

Lies have now expanded to try to hurt his teachers, his classmates etc.

He accepts blame for nothing. Always quick to blame others for things. Even events such as pooping himself get blamed in his sister somehow.

He will lie about everything, and even when caught and he is clearly to blame for something, will still deny it.

Temper tantrums, aggressive behaviors.

Other kids refuse to play with him because he refuses to follow the rules of organized play. Purposely annoys the other kids by walking through the kickball field, ruining whatever they are working on, bugging the kids in the classroom. Does not accept blame for these items.

He is manipulative, always looking for attention, always giving sob stories so people look at him like " a poor little child"

He is vindictive and tries to get other people in trouble (Lies at school to get the county involved etc)

Refuses to do what he is told. EXTREMELY slow in doing routine tasks (Takes 40 minutes just to put on his socks and underwear)

Everything is a fight, every request is a chore. LIes about homework, tries to get his teacher in trouble. Cries and breaks down easily. Always complains about his punishments and how he doesnt deserve them.

Punishments include not being allowed to participate in certain things (pumpkin carving) Time out, time standing in the corner, etc. There is ZERO physical punishement in the home.

We have tried everything. 2 therapists have already "fired" him saying his case is too extreme. Either way, all he does is lie to the therapists.

Feeling os hopelessness.

Because of the chaos he brings into the home, I have been put on 2 anxiety medications myself. Sometimes I feel my only escape is to leave my home.

I cant handle this anymore. Please help.
Posted on 11/27/12, 01:20 pm
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/27/12  7:56pm
" OMG you just totally described my life.

I have a 7 year old adopted son with ODD, ADHD, RAD and so on..What you talk about from the first word to the last word is my life. You and I my dear are in the same boat. I would love to talk to you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/27/12  8:19pm
" Happy to talk and share stories anytime. Feels good to not be alone. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/09/12  7:34pm
" I am in somewhat of the same boat as you are. My stepson has only been in my life for about 2 years now and although his behavior is not as extreme as your son's I fear he will get to that point. He does lie alot and doesn't take blame for anything. He even went as far as telling me one time that my husband had another girlfriend and didnt love me. He is taking medicine for ADHD and ODD at this time and he is going to a behavioral therapist once a week. I am also on anxiety medicine. It used to help but now since I am 9 months pregnant I think it barely does the trick. I have some kind of hope from reading these discussion boards and commenting but sometimes I myself dont know what to do. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/13/12  12:36pm
" My SO's daughter has ODD and ADHD is now 16 but we have been together since she was 12. It has caused so many problems in our relationship and in their relationship. She mentally abuses her father. It's horrible. I think she is also Bipolar and got that from her Mother. Her mother is mentally unstable and has physically and emotionally abused her so we have created a stable home for her with rules and love and a great school and therapy. She wanted none of it and ran away to her mother and stole her fathers beloved cat of 9 years, and broke his heart. She doesn't haven't have any contact now with him and is failing school, getting into trouble and running wild. He just cries because of how she broke his heart and stole from him and our home and doesn't care about us at all. She blames everything on me and him. Takes no responsibility for anything. I feel so bad for him, but I am also in a small way glad she is not causing chaos in this house anymore. I am disabled and she made my life a living hell. I however did everything I could to help her, and would again if she came back. Discipline is also in order as well. She needs structure to be healthy. I just don't know how to help my SO. He's so heartbroken. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/17/12  2:35pm
" YOu could be talking about my son. They keep telling us there is differnt ways to parent children like this. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/17/12  6:25pm
" N-O-T-H-I-N-G works. period the END. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/17/12  7:49pm
" I agree nothing does seem to work. We have done everything that is out there. The only thing really left is putting him on so many drugs that he is so dopey that he can not hurt anyone. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/18/12  7:24am
" My Daughter just got through screaming, hiding, and arguing about the cream cheese on her toast!
Lovely way to start a morning... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 12/18/12  5:17pm
" Oh I go through the same thing. My some was screaming on Friday morning because I woudnt let him wear his pajamas to school. He was almost late. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/18/12  9:42pm
" So funny mine will scream and complain and refuse to eat if I give him cereal because he wanted toast. next day try to be kinder to him give him his toast and he refuses to eat that slop he wanted pop tart. So no matter what we do they are not happy. Let them deal with the unhappiness,. I am done trying to figure out what makes mine tick. He will be treated from now on like his siblings. If he doesn't like it he can just get overit. I have catered to him for almost 7 years. We have done it all and nothing works. Going to stop driving myself and his siblings crazy. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web