Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
My daughter! OCD
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I will shorten this as much as I can but I really wanted to share this story with all of you. I was diagnosed with OCD in 2002, after looking back to even my youngest years and talking to my parents, we were able to see it back then, just didn't know anything about OCD back then.
My oldest daughter Britney, she is 22, when she was about 5 years old, she has always been really paranoid about her health, ex: if she got a splinter in her finger, or scraped her knee, she would run to whoever was nearer, me or her Daddy, and ask " Am I gonna be o.k., is it gonna be cancer?" As she grew , it still got asked quite a bit, but not to the point that it made me worry.
I remember the day she got the splinter in her finger, her daddy told her after several days of it being in there, that he really needed to try and get it out, he didn't want it to get infected, so she willingly let him get it out.
Britney is taking 1 night class at college this semester, and will be taking her last class this summer before entering nursing school, she works full time, but the 1 class has not kept her stressed she is handling things really well, all except when it comes to her health, if she itches on her arm, she is worried that something bad is wrong, worried about getting a disease of any kind,
Over the last month, I have went with her to the Dr. 3 times, her going to the Dr was all her, she just asked me to ride with her, the last 2 weeks things have progressed severely, to the point that I have even caught myself feeling so frustrated because I could not say or do anything to help her with these feelings. They were taking over her daily life ,it's all she could think about.
I finally realized with the knowledge that I have collected over the last 6 years that she was now, totally obssessing over this, and that something had to be done, it was interfering with her life.
this past Wednesday, after setting up an appt for her, she was diagnosed with OCD.
My heart was broken. I know how hard things can get with mine at times and how it has effected me. The Dr put her on 20mg of prozac a day, even though she is 22, she weighs about 95 lbs.
I am very proud of her.. she is handling this diagnosis really well, probably because she has had to learn so much from me having to explain things over these last years.
I would just like to ask all of you to say a prayer for her.
She graduated in 2005, and yes, it has taken her a while to get through college , but she has worked full time, so she can help a some burden off of me and her daddy, she is a great kid, and has a good level head on her shoulders. I just pray this med works and she can continue her education with out any problems, she has worked so hard to get where she's at right now.
Thanks for listening to me. Just a concerned momma worrying about her daughter and just needed to talk to somebody that understands. God Bless ALl of you. Lori
Posted on 04/19/09, 07:44 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/19/09  8:20pm
" She is lucky she has such an understanding mother. best to her! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/20/09  2:31am
" Sorry for what you are going through and your daughter, i have been with ocd most of my life and i am 26 now its not been easy, but i am getting by well. My mum has done alot and prayed alot for me and i hav seen it help me through some of my worst days. I will pray for strength and peace for you and your daughter, and she will be ok and you too. She is an encouragement, she has worked full time and she is through with college, all the best of blessings to her. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/20/09  8:43am
" There is no greater help than a supportive mom! I say that from experience. My mom has ridden through some of my darkest moments with me- staying up with me at night, reminding me of the cognitive things I need to do, holding my hand and so much more. I couldn't have gotten through these hard times without her. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web