Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
false memories
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Anyone have these as a symptom of their OCD? The thoughts of bad things play over and over in your mind until you start to wonder if you've already done these things, but you know you haven't, then they become almost like memories but you know they aren't real but they keep coming. If you have these how do you make them stop?
Posted on 08/09/08, 02:03 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/09/08  3:57pm
" I had the exact problem in the past. It centered around a specific violent obsession that never occurred. However, it "seemed" so real to me.

However, there was cognitive work that I could apply to this when I wasn't in the obsession. The truth behind the thoughts were just bizarre and didn't really make logical sense. The probability of occurrence was like one in a million or billion.

Eventually, when the obsession hit again I just labeled it as OCD. I also made fun of it by extending it to an absurdity. Over time, the thought just faded away. Then I knew it was just OCD.

OCD can create whatever bizarre stuff(I can think of a stronger word but I don't swear) it wants to cause distress. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/09/08  6:15pm
" I agree with wolverinebob.

This is classic OCD. When you get a thought just say "Whatever" to the thought.

It is so important to remember that you do have the power to ignore what is going on. The less power you give, the better! God Bless =) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/09/08  7:01pm
" false memoreies
ahh one of my favorites..haha!
not really.
I am experiencein pure o right now so yea i have had these.For me it feel that i have 2 minds-one with this world of ocd and my normal HEALTHIER one!So if i live in the ocd one...im in hell.So since i dont like the weather in hell i try to live in the healthier one which ultimately is a bit closer to "heaven."
Interestingly the memories have a kind of world of their own .I cant say i KNOW for sure it is absurd unreality.Maybe it is.Maybe it exists in some other beings mind and ive picked up a "story" from someone else..or even a movie.. Maybe my mind IS malfunctioning ,sending out false memories..i don't know .Doctors don't ,spiritualists don't .I don't .God probably knows..
I do know that it IS NOT who i am NOW in this life.So ,i do what many have said ...dismiss the thought.Many techniques exist .im trying to work on my thoughts too..i wish all of us well "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/04/10  3:38pm
" I have suffered with ocd since childhood and more recently it has been centered around guilt over false memories of having maybe done terrible things in the past. I am assured by a psychologist that this is all part of my ocd. The thing is it doesn't go away. There are times when it's as though I can just get on with things as and be fairly happy and then suddenly it all seems to cloud over and I feel utterly alone with it. What you said about ocd bringing with it a whole other world is so comforting to hear because although it is utterly terrifying, it helps to think that some other people have something similar going on. For me it tends to be in the evenings that I get anxious and feel convinced of the darker things in my mind leading to the compulsions. Anyway I just wanted to say thanks for sharing that and I wish you and everybody else who has to struggle with ocd all the very best. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/24/11  1:42pm
" I am going through the same thing. It is so scary. I get these "what ifs?" and all of a sudden they seem like real memories. I can't believe that I would have cheated on my husband in the first place let alone have forgotten it for almost 2 years. It is scary because it seems to real. I can't tell real from false. Its tearing me apart. Does anyone else have this happen? "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web