Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
limerence/ocd
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
So I just joined this group! Yayy!! I have a form of o.c.d called limerence. It has to do with romantic obsession, and hope for reciprocation. It is very difficult and has had an impact on my work life, and social life. I have had ocd for a very long time and didn't even know what it was until I saw an Oprah show many years ago and they were talking about it. My ocd has differed and varied over the years. The limerence has been a constant....I've done rituals. counting, litanies, and obsessions. There have been long periods of time where I've been able to brush the ocd away. I've been taking celexa and it has worked amazingly for me. I still have the limerence which is ocd on a bigger scale. Anyway.. hi everyone!
Posted on 09/06/13, 02:29 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/08/13  8:55pm
" Welcome aboard! I had never heard of limerence before. How do your rituals tie in with your romantic obsession? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/09/13  12:41pm
" I think it's because of the need to attach to a person in a romantic way...the fantasies become a compulsion, but have emotional consequences... It's sort of a ritual in itself but a more fixed one?? My therapist says that It's just a behavior associated with my OCD... It can be devastating because it's always that hope for reciprocation and looking for signs of it.. I think it is more the obsessive side of ocd :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/13/13  11:16pm
" have you asked yourself why you need this kind of attention? Is it something from your childhood, like being ashamed to have sexual thoughts? I have kissed a lot of frogs trying to fill my need to be needed. I get what you mean about one of your obsessions always sticking with you as other obsessions come and go. What I call my "primary obsession" is fear of the devil, or becoming evil. I hope this has helped a little...if nothing else, you now know there is someone else out there that understands what you are feeling. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/13/13  11:29pm
" Klove72, you keep writing about "reciprocation" but do you mean "reconciliation" (want to get back with someone)? Never heard of "Limerence" before but have heard of and know that the DSM-5 now includes "Relationship OCD" as an OCD symptom. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/13/13  11:57pm
" Klove72,

My apologies about asking you about your use of the word "reciprocation". I just googled the word and many links came up. I chose to read a little on the Wikipedia site. It does go into it being an OCD symptom.

Here is the 1st paragraph on there about "Limerence".

Limerence is an involuntary state of mind which results from a romantic attraction to another person combined with an overwhelming, obsessive need to have one's feelings reciprocated. The psychologist Dorothy Tennov coined the term "limerence" in her 1979 book Love and Limerence: The Experience of Being in Love to describe the concept that had grown out of her work in the mid-1960s, when she interviewed over 500 people on the topic of love. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web