Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
new compulsive ideas:/
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Over the years I tend to get stuck on one compulsion until I find something else. I tend to do things that I don't have to think about that relax me. For the past 2 years I have been plucking the hairs on my legs (daily). I have scars and bloody scabs on my legs. I have tried shaving everyday so there would be nothing there to pluck, but then I just dig through the skin with tweezers to get to the hair so I can pull it out. I'm embarrassed to were shorts or skirts:( I'm thinking if I can focus on something else. Something constructive I can do daily without much thought, another way to reduce anxiety without leaving scars. I know this sounds crazy but I need help. This is the only thing I can think that might help....any ideas?
Thanks in advance:)
Posted on 07/31/11, 05:09 pm
4 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/31/11  7:27pm
" what if you tried slowly weening yourself from doing the behavior? because its a complusion, its going to be hard for you to just stop. How long would you say you normally do this for? Lets just say for example you normally do this for 30 minutes. When you get the need to do it, do it for 25, then slowly ween yourself to 20, 15, and so on until your barley doing it anymore. if its the pain that is soothing you try using an ice cube instead, gives you the pain without the blood and scars. Hope this helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/01/11  1:08am
" try drawing something repetitive and detailed, or modeling clay. Silly putty or play doh can be helpful when your hands feel all crawly and unsettled, like you want to pluck.
Find a barrier to help yourself stop, like, put away the tweezers, but promise yourself that you'll have a good wax as soon as the hair grows long enough. Or put away the tweezers and tell yourself that you're only allowed to use your fingers to pull the hair. When you stop being able to get at them as much, pulling will start to be less "rewarding"
Have you joined the trichotillomania (compulsive hair pulling/plucking and skin picking) support group? People on there might have even more ideas. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/01/11  7:56pm
" Thank you both for you feedback...I am going to give a couple of things a try. Also, thank you for suggesting that other support group:) I'm sure it will be helpful:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/02/11  2:14pm
" I try to replace my OCD with productive things. For example I am OCD about having to do certain things when I leave the house, so it's a "rule" for me now that I have to brush my teeth every time I leave the house, which isn't a bad things. I have super clean teeth !

Not all of OCD has to be a pain in the ass. Sometimes it motivates me to work out more because I have to do a certain number of reps. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web