Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
How Much Provigil Do You Take?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My doc is letting me self-monitor my dosage of Provigil. There are days when I need very little of the stuff and then there are days, sometimes several in a row, where I am taking 1800mg spread out throughout the day. Is it common to choose your dosage? How much Provigil is too much?

Please send me your thoughts.
Posted on 07/31/08, 01:21 am
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Narcolepsy. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/31/08  7:49am
" Thats weird because my Doc will only let me take 400mg a day he told me no more than that but i need more because that doesnt help me!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/03/08  12:14am
" I take 200mg each day in the morning. I just started Provigil 4 months ago...I started with 100mg for a little over a month then I was bumped upto the 200mg with the possibility of more later on depending on the results. I am still getting a strange pain in my brain by my eye most days and that concerns him (and me!).

I guess every one of us had a different level of too much. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/05/08  12:50pm
" I am so happy to hear doctors advising to spread the dose out/self monitor dose. I was started on provigil when I was first diagnosed. I was bumped up to 600mg. each day--- but it wasn't working. I then was put on a cocktail of provigil, ritalin, concerta, prozac, paxil, clonapine--- the antidepressants were to help w/cataplexy. I ended up wasting away to 89 pounds at 5 feet tall. I was psychotic--- I went months without crying. I finally said enough was enough. I now take only provigil 300 mg. in the morning. I take 100-200 mg. later in the day if I need to. I find that spacing out the dose has really helped me. However if I take 200 mg. late in the evening-- I feel nauseated/and actually experience insomnia! Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/30/08  5:34pm
" Why doesnt he add someting to it like adderall or ritilin? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/30/08  6:28pm
" The 'British National Formulary' (the definative doctors prescribing guide, puts the maximum dose at 400 mg daily. So it is unlikely that any UK doctors would recommend a dose higher than this.

I don't know what guide doctors in the US use, but 1800mg sounds like an aweful lot to me.

It does work better if the doses are spread throughout your day - and this also lessens te side effects IMO. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/31/08  12:25am
" My doctors, and I have several, have never suggested taking anything else with it. Having taught biology and chemistry I am a bit of an amateur scientist and am taking that approach at my care. Every time the doctors suggest something I work with that one thing alone to see how it affects my well being. It keeps the control group and variables as expected so that any improvements can be attributed to the actual variable.

There have been days I have taken as much as 2400 mg in a day for several days in a row. My doctor has joined with other doctors across the US to file a lawsuit against the FDA regarding Provigil, but I do not know more of the details than those I have provided.

The latest measure that I have agreed to take has been an Asian medicine approach. I pair hatha yoga exercises with a rotation diet. The effects have been incredible. I have seen more improvement with this then with any other treatment. I keep thorough logs that monitor hours slept, rating of the day, mg of Provigil, days into menstral cycle, and unusual occurences. This helps my doctors know what is going on, so that we can communicate on the same level.

My log shows that I have not had ANY Provigil in 10 days and each of those days has been a Success rated day. One month ago today I had taken 2400 mg and rated the day as unsuccessful. I had thought it was hokey at first, but I have a month of data to prove it. I am actually looking forward to my next appointment. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/31/08  5:01pm
" provigil didnt work for me at all....... i take equasym for the Narc and something else for the cataplexy.i can self-dose to a degree, but have to stay within a monthly allowance as it is a controlled drug.stillw aiting for the xyrem to be granted....... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/04/08  12:05am
" I take a total of 600mg a day . 400mg in the am and another 200mg at noon as needed. I find that the time of day that I take the medication has alot to do with the effects that I get. I still wish that I was more alert. I also think that my insonmia is getting worse. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 09/04/08  9:53am
" Provigil did not work for me also. I was taking 400mg in the morning. I was really hoping that it would work so I can get on with my life. My doctor has now prescribed Concerta. I still had some Provigil left so now I am taking 1 concerta 400mg Provigil in the morning and 200 of Provigil in the afternoon. Stacking the meds makes me a little nervous, and its NOT cheap. But I am looking forward to the day when I can make it through without the main goal being staying awake. Best of Luck. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web