More DailyStrength
Health Event Calendar
See what's new on the site
Step-by-step Tutorials
How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
What Kind Of Doctor Should I see for Myofascial ?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
What kind of doctor specializes in myofascial pain treatments? I went to my dentist years ago who referred me to a doctor who diagnosed me with Myofascial pain (he was a D.D.S. from the Diplomate american board of oral and maxillofascial surgery)

But the last time I seen him was 10 years ago one time.

I'm having a massive flareup the worst I've ever had in 20 years! So I want to make an appointment with a doctor who knows how to treat myofascial/muscle pain. Do I see a rheumatologist? Or should I go to my general family doctor? Is my general practictioner doctor qualified to treat myofascial pain or give injections?

I don't want to waste any time going to a doctor unless he/she specializes in myofascial pain.
Posted on 05/19/11, 12:40 am
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Myofascial Pain Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/19/11  9:48am
" Doc who helped me the most was chiropractor. he later referred me to a PT -- I lucked out there, her sister had Fibro so she was understanding and gentle.

Haven't had too much luck with Reg Dr's. A well trained Bonnie Pruden therapist (massage) was the best and well versed.

Good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/19/11  10:00am
" Physiatrists treat musculoskeletal problems.

I found my doctor in the reference section of the book Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain: A SURVIVAL MANUAL by Devin Starlanyl. The doctors are listed in order of state. Her web site is "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/19/11  12:42pm
" Try a physiatrist or an osteopath. You will need your internest to refer you to a physiatrist. Check out for more information. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/19/11  3:54pm
" you need to see pain management consultant at a pain unit in a hospital they are the only people that seem to understand this illness I am under St Thomas in London "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/26/11  3:18am
" I see a pain specialist who I was referred to by my family doctor. I receive 300 units of Botox from her (by injection) every 12 weeks to keep my MP under control. That stops the spasm in the muscles, For about 8 weeks I am pain free - the 2 weeks on either end can have increased pain while the Botox lifts or takes hold. I have also been to both an inpatient and outpatient pain clinic program. MP is the result of a car accident and my spine is also involved which is part of the reason for the Botox too, Having the Botox injections to help my MP was one of the best decisions I have made with regards to my treatment of it. I also go to massage therapy every couple of weeks, however there is to be no pysio, massage or other body work done within 10 days of having the injections so that they do not "move". "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/26/11  9:05am
" As you can see, there are as many answers to this question as there are to all other questions about mps. The thing is, it's not widely known by the medical field. Some doc's still think it's fibro.
I've had to educate everyone I've come in contact with who was not either a myofascial therapist or a trigger point therapist. Including pt's, chiro's, md's, massage therapists, cranial sacral therapists, and a pain management doc. So I've learned to call around and ask specifically if the person has training and knowledge of chronic myofascial pain or myofascial pain syndrome. Then I weigh their answers. One pt said, "oh, yeah, they're rebundling that into a new diagnoses." That was enough for me to go the other way.
But sadly, like in any profession, you will find those who say, "Oh, yeah, I know all about that." And then proceed to screw you up so bad you are starting over again.
Don't mean to scare you. What we have all found out here is that there is no quick fix and no one fix that works for all. But most find that trigger point therapy and/or myofascial release from a John Barnes trained therapist works.
Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/26/11  4:27pm
" Keep in mind that it's not just about treating the pain -- sure, you want to lessen your pain, but you have to figure out what's causing it. Myofascial pain isn't like a diagnosis like Lyme disease, for instance, where you'll get a diagnosis and then treat it. Instead, myofascial pain is a symptom. A symptom of, typically (once you've ruled out things like thyroid disorders, lupus, that kind of scary stuff), biomechanical issues...that is, alignment and postural issues. Muscle weaknesses and imbalances. Joint instability which leads to muscle exhaustion. That realm of the universe is not well understood by a lot of doctors, so finding one that treats "myofascial pain" is a tall order. Finding one who at least understands it and can support a journey towards pain reduction that then leads to body awareness work and then leads to stability and mobility work and then, finally, slow core strengthening, is where you'll find yourself if you're very lucky. In my experience, a long journey had nothing to do with traditional medical doctors and ended up being all about very experienced and knowledgeable physical therapists, yoga instructors and Pilates/movement instructors. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/01/11  3:15pm
" I went to the ortho. doctor he is the one that diagnosed me. He also said I have Piriformis syndrome. He gave me trigger point injections in my back about 12 at one time. Then he gave me 3 Piriformis injections in the butt (they hurt like hell) gave me many different meds to try nothing really worked. So he basicly gave up on me so I quit going! "

Add Your Reply

More From Around the Web