Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Advice on non sibling transplant risks/timing
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi,

I have MDS level 1 with only low platelets and no blasts etc. I have had low platelets for years but was just diagnosed 6 months ago .The counts vary from 29K to 65K now. I just found out my only brother is not a match. Should I take a chance with all the risks involved of getting a transplant with a non sibling before I progress to level 2 or higher??? I am very worried the Drs are looking to solve my problem and the minute a donor is found I will have to make a bad/ fatal decision. VERY WORRIED. Any advice from survivors or others in my situation?
Posted on 03/28/12, 08:06 pm
1 Reply Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Myelodysplasia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/11/12  10:15am
" Hi Sundco,

My sister was diagnosed with MDS at 41 years of age. She had a very aggressive form of MDS and was diagnosed with AML Jan. 2011 and was told she had to have a Stem Cell tranplant for survival. My brother and I both were tested and were not matches. They did find her a match on the registry and she had her stem cell transplant on May 5, 2011. She has had some bouts of GVHD (Gvhd of the Gut, eyes and skin) ; however, she has overcome most of the problems and is coming up on her 1 year birthday May 5, 2012. For the most part she is doing great. Every situation is different so, if you think you might go that route you might want to have them start looking for a donor on the registry. There are several individuals who have had stem cell transplants on the AML site. That support group might be good for you to review before you make a decision. I hope this helps and if you have additional questions please feel free to ask.. I will be praying for you-Sherry "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web