How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
A different way of eating for MS and mabye MG?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
You have been sent a submission from TEDxTalks.

TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria
http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDx...

Even if you do not follow strictly it looks easy to add some leafy vegatables to your daily diet
Posted on 04/22/13, 04:34 pm
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Myasthenia Gravis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/22/13  8:29pm
" Checked out http://www.terrywahls.com/ the MD who claims diet cured her MS. Full of wonderful tapes, books, videos for sale to make big bucks off of her claims. Looks little different than any other huckster selling something based on the testimony of a few rather than any scientific testing of groups of people.

Right now I am in MG drug free remission. This is rare in the MG group. Don't know if it will last, but I think I will do a Terry Wahls while I am still OK. Getting rich off of the desperation of sick people seems pretty moral. Here goes:

"I was miserable, unable to walk without a cane, unable to work, type, chew, see etc.... and MG neurologist treatments didn't work at all. I had been taking them for months and kept getting worse!"
"So, I decided to apply science--Bears are wonderfully healthy animals, and they get that way from eating everything in front of them to excess--especially things that put on a lot of fat."
"I changed my diet to high sugar, high fat, and now am cured! Modern medicine and its pills failed, but the Hanson High Cal diet works--just look at me now. You too must do this to cure MG. Send for free information now and kick MG too! Order the Magifat pills that begin to work immediately!"
People with diseases like MS, MG and so on often do go into remissions in spite of what they do to themselves. Did my adding 25 lbs help put me into remission--of course it did ;-)

Just buy my books, videos, special high fat/cal bars, supplements and cure yourself too while making me rich.

Do you really think that a case of one person, me, is evidence? Why are there MS patients who always have been vegetarians if that is all it takes to be cured? Where is the evidence that other people have been cured too? Any scientific trials? Why doesn't the MS org push this cure? And if adding 25lbs was the reason I was cured of MG, why aren't others who did this cured?

You can't claim a cause - effect relationship on a case of one person going into a remission of MS anymore than you all should take my advice and eat 1 lb of potato chips per day (vegetarian diet my style) as a sure cure--of course not just any chips, but the $25 per lb Hansonic MG chips cheaper by the ton.

As we all know, having an MD after your name does not mean you are automatically right about everything. Wahls claims need to be scientifically tested with double blind trials of many MS patients to be different from my MG cure. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/22/13  8:51pm
" Wahls is trying to raise money to test the diet on 20 patients. Legitimate scientific protocols --especially one that claims to cure MS would be very easily funded by the MS org or the NIH. However there has to be some scientific basis to get the money.

At the end of the Wahls website we read the usual disclaimers of a quack so when you don't get cured or you get worse Wahl isn't taking any responsibilty.

The statements and products shown on this website have not been evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration.

These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent
any disease.

The owners of this website expressly disclaim all liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information or other contents of this site.

This website is for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. The information on this website does not create, nor is it intended to replace, a relationship with a qualified health care professional. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or your health and prior to starting dietary routines, exercise or supplements. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/22/13  9:15pm
" Just to be clear: I am not subscribing to Terry's idea- I am only sharing information. I firmly believe in my chemical medications rather than kale. Just putting yet a different opinion out there- as we all are on DS. I never believed every thing I read, but never stopped reading everything (except on a bad MG day :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/22/13  11:04pm
" I found this interesting. Thanks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/23/13  7:50am
" I wish we could all be so lucky, Russ. Congrats on your remission. I'm 6 months into this with a thymectomy, ivig, cellcept and Mestinon. I would gladly eat differently if it would help. I've already cut out the "fun" stuff (food). Just lamenting here... See my neuro this A.M. Because my chewing weakness is back.
Be well, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/23/13  9:55am
" What great news about your diet Russ -- and your drug-free remission.

I've always thought i could cure myself of MG if I got a giant lump sum of money and would be able to live wherever I wanted (in a cool climate), worry free. But I will try the HHC method. First I need to stock up on XXL draw-string sweat pants for my soon to be expanding belly! ~joe "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/23/13  10:33am
" BCCanada, I have been followed at Masssachusetts General Hospital, a world class, world renowned hospital... where I am being treated with natural approaches along with pills.

I will read your article and share the significant incremental gains I am making with my MG as a result of these natural treatments when I am back in gear on DS. (I am still working on making sense of how my life and the lives and limbs of my husband and Elinor's daughter were spared 20 short feet from the first Boston Marathon bomb.)

Thank you again, for your topic and your interest in supporting your healing process with top quality foods.

Hugs,
Rosie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/23/13  11:38am
" I am suspicious of the medical and natural treatment communities. Both have biases of which they seem to be unaware. I tend to focus on making choices that can be backed up by research, which, in the case of MG, is not always available. I fail to see the downside of eating a good diet that sustains healthy systems, including the neuromuscular one.

Rosie, I am still rattled and am having a difficult time interacting with people. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/23/13  2:56pm
" I agree that eating a lot of vegetables and little to no processed food sounds like a good idea for anyone. Dr Wahls sounds somewhat believable to me (aside from the fact that she's obviously trying to make money), but some articles I've read on holistic treatment for auto-immune disorders just sound crazy. The IVIG and Prednisone and thymectomy is what has made me so so much better, but the extra energy I get from exercising, avoiding sugar and eating vegetables is kind of the icing on the cake that helps me get through the afternoon slump. (Mmmm...cake. Dammit!)

I would like to seek the advice of a doctor who can give me holistic treatment (in combination with my traditional meds! I'm not trying to give that up) but it's hard for me to tell who to trust. I guess the thing about holistic medicine that interests me is not so much that I want to solve all my health problems by sticking myself with pins instead of taking pills, but I'm more interested in the description of holistic as taking into account the whole picture instead of just treating aspects or symptoms of a disease.

Rosie, I'd also love to hear more about how your MG treatment is going when you feel like discussing. Also, I hope you and Elinor are both feeling better soon; though I've never experienced anything similar, I can imagine it was frightening and disorienting to be close to the explosion Monday. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web