Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Which mg meds suppress your immune system the most
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi my mom is in and out of the hospital with an infection. I know part is her age 80. Does mention on suppress ur immune system.... Or just predisione ... Cellcept .... And immuran.

Do taking vitamins to boost immune system lessen the effects of these meds....

If her immune system is weak she cannot fight any infection. I had her in a rehab and she was back in hospital in about a week with an infection and in turn that worsens mg. don't know which way to go.....

Any suggestions or related experiences.

Thanks

Diane
Posted on 01/25/13, 02:52 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Myasthenia Gravis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/25/13  4:30pm
" Diane,
I am sorry to hear about your Mom. The Doc's should be able to explain to you what is going on. Mg is caused by the immune system over acting. So Prednisone and cellcept( or immurane) suppress the immune system. Cellcept takes a while (months to a year ) to work so we go on predisone first.
Vitamins give us nutrients but usually we don't want anything that triggers the immune system since it is already in overdrive.
It is a crazy desease so hopefully a DOC CAN MAKE IT MORE UNDERSTANDABLE.

Ann "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/26/13  9:04am
" Thanks Ann. I have 2 mg experts and they both give a different story. IMF is bad and even if it is controlled from being immunocompromised you get and infection and need antibiotics which aggravate mg. so I don't know if the mg is worse or the complications from the infections.. How is your breathing and swallowing from tithe cellcept? Thanks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/26/13  9:29am
" Most of us try to reach some balance with meds that lower our immune system and yet having some immune system function.

That seems to mean that we have to tolerate some MG symptoms and some weakened immune system. The trick is deciding where the balance is. If one gets colds and infections too often, then we probably need to adjust the balance by taking less prednisone, Imuran, Cellcept or other immune system depressing med.

The problem is that changes in dosages can take months to show up and, in the case of prednisone, the change itself can cause problems and so the change has to be done very gradually.

I think treating MG is much more of an art than a science
Good Luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/26/13  4:00pm
" after I got out of a crisis a couple years ago....I am fine with breathing and swallowing. Cellcept takes a while to work.Months to up to a year. I was stabel in a year after my crisis.(hospitalization) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/27/13  11:35pm
" Thanks Russ and Ann. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web