Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Tomatoes - good or bad for MS
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I recall hearing or reading something that stated that tomatoes were bad for people with MS. Does anyone know?
Posted on 09/23/08, 08:07 pm
17 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Multiple Sclerosis (MS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/23/08  9:18pm
" All nightshades can be allergenic for some people. For some people the allergy might be limited to tomatoes in their raw state, but that is not necessarily the case for everybody.

Anything allergenic can promote an immune response. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/23/08  9:22pm
" Dear heaven!

Unless you're allergic to them, they are good for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/23/08  10:43pm
" I would think all fruit would be good for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/23/08  11:07pm
" Don't know whether tomatos are bad for MS -- but everytime I eat them (or anything with a tomato type sauce) i have a flare with my CD (another autoimmune disorder). Allergic??? I stay away from them! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/14/12  1:00am
" It's more than that they're a nightshade or allergenic. It's the lectin in them that can trigger flareups by increasing inflammation and immune response.
Read this blog for the details. http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fus... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/14/12  8:42am
" I would think good for you "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/14/12  12:34pm
" I sure hope they are good for you - I've got 6 tomato plants in my back yard and I can't wait for them to ripen! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 07/14/12  1:21pm
" I have recently read about lectins and their role in MS and other health issues.

MarilynCa's link to the blog post has a good explanation for the reasons behind the foods that may be problematic in blood brain barrier and leaky gut issues.

It is hard to grasp that there are good foods that aren't necessarily good for some of us. Like Lchoppel, I have a garden full of tomato, green bean, corn and potato plants which may turn out to be foods that aren't so great for me!!

I have an appointment with a nutrionalist on Monday to find out more about food sensitivities and their role in MS. Of course, I'm worried that much of my diet is going to need to change and I don't always do change well... especially when it comes to my food loves: breads, desserts and breads and desserts ;-). "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/14/12  2:08pm
" I concur that tomatoes should be avoided for the most part. I believe it was in the paleo diet video on youtube by Loren Cordain that I first learned about lectins. I'm so glad this topic came up again. I need to take another look at the information and remember exactly what they do. At any rate, I avoid them.

Here's a snippet of a research article I just ran across that describes it beautifully:

"To understand how these gut-binding lectins participate in the MS disease process one must understand the basic MS disease process. It is established that MS is driven by the activation of myelin-sensitive T cells in the blood. These immune cells then cross the blood-brain barrier to lead an immune attack on myelin, resulting in the loss of myelin and nerve axons. Such losses translate into the physical symptoms of MS. One big unknown in MS is how the myelin-sensitive T cells get continually activated so that the MS disease process keeps progressing. Dr Cordain’s work provides a very reasonable and compelling answer to this fundamental question."

As discussed by Dr Cordain in his presentation, lectins from grains, legumes and tomatoes are important players in the activation of the myelin-sensitive T cells and they accomplish this in a number of ways. It is known that protein fragments derived from various foods such as milk and from gut bacteria can activate myelin-sensitive T cells through molecular mimicry.

However, to accomplish this, the foreign protein fragments have to get across the intestinal barrier. One possible way for this to happen is by way of disrupted cell junctures of a “leaky gut”. Dr Cordain demonstrated there was another way for the protein fragments to reach circulation and the immune system.

Research has revealed that various lectins can attach themselves to a specific receptor that is expressed on the gut wall (EGF receptor) and pass through the intestinal barrier by that means rather than through disrupted cell junctures. However, that is only part of the story. In the gut, the lectins also attach themselves to various protein fragments derived from foods and gut bacteria and they transport them across the intestinal barrier by means of the
EGF receptor. Thus they act like a “Trojan Horse” by bringing the “enemy” past the protection of the gut wall. Once the lectins and their passengers are across the gut barrier, the transported food and gut bacteria protein fragments have the potential to activate the myelin-sensitive T cells by way of molecular mimicry.

Furthermore, some lectins such as tomato lectin also have the capacity to act as immune adjuvants. This means they greatly stimulate the immune system such that the encounter with the lectin-transported proteins is much more likely to result in T cell activation. If that was not enough, the lectins also cause the upregulation of various proteins associated with the blood-brain
barrier (adhesion molecules, MMPs). This action significantly facilitates the entry of the activated, myelin-sensitive T cells into the central nervous system where they lead the attack on myelin. We now have the answer to the question of what causes the frequent activation of myelin-sensitive T cells. It is the daily ingestion of lectin-containing grains and legumes along with other potentially problematic foods such as dairy."

So, thanks for bringing this up! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/14/12  2:09pm
" Here's the link to the article: http://www.direct-ms.org/sites/defa... "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web