How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
How do you lose weight when you can't even walk?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi, I hope someone has answers. I had an attack of MS and I can hardly walk. I am gaining weight and more weight. Can someone tell me how to get this weight off without exercising. Because I cannot walk or use my legs because I am in so much pain. Please help.
Posted on 08/02/08, 05:43 am
23 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Multiple Sclerosis (MS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/02/08  8:02am
" There is that new pill that has been discovered that will eventually help. The pill for couch potatoes or others not able to excersize.

It seems to me I gained about 15# in the first couple of traumatic years with MS. Much was from seeking comfort from food.

Then I needed to have a hard look at my eating & realize since I am not so active anymore hunger does not work for me as a feedback back when food is needed. The feedback is likely false feedback of boredom or depression NOT the need for food.

So I needed to kind of keep track of what I eat. Instead of using a "hunger" feedback.

Lucky for me I was able to make just a few changes and I lost the weight I had gained & I continue to lose weigh...slowly :( When I could run or go for long walks I would lose very quickly. Now not so quickly.

First I did a couple of months using the cabbage soup diet to get used to disciplined eating again, which I had done before MS.

The cabbage soup diet is 7 days of cabbage soup then 14 days off cabbage soup-I did regular eating those 14 days. I guess a person can do another food plan during the 14 days.

I stopped cabbage soup, then just made a rule for myself there would be NO deep fat fried foods and During the "shock" of newly diagnosed MS I had gotten into a lazy habit of morning TV with sweet roll. That's gone too. Ocassionally I get one now, but very ocassionally.

But absolutely NO deep fat fried foods!

I try to weigh myself as I remeber. More often when I seem to be eating too much, it gets me motivated again to not over eat or eat fattening foods.

The weight loss is slow, w/o vigerous excersize, but it happens. And some excersize is good, whatever is done. Excersize is time when not in the refergerator..it's dieting by substition. Substituting the time eating for excersize. It doesn't burn alot of calories, but it does slow down the accumulation of calories.

Reallistically, accept a higher weight or larger jean size, then when vigerous excersize was possible, preferablly within BMI range, but be able to maintain that weight, whatever you choose. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/02/08  8:20am
" You have to be really determined to only eat what you need and not just eat because you are fed up or bored etc.

I eat a cereal in the morning, plain porridge type with lots of fruit yummy or a banana good as its high in potassium and some nuts too for magnesium.

At 11am I allow myself one capochino, and a small piece of Jamaica ginger cake. You have to have a few treats lol. In between i drink plain water.

For lunch I have ryvita with sunflower seeds with low cal cheese spread or chicken slice, ham etc, or an advocado with tuna, something very simple and easy to put in front of me.

Then my tea/dinner. Well i will have fish, chicken mixed green salads (spinach), omellette, i very rarely have potatoes. I do have a plate full of food though but all low calorie, even will have speghetti with a good healthy tomatoe sauce with vegetables or a bit of meat or tuna.

Then I eat a yoguhurt and lots of grapes.

Now i havent lost any weight in 2 years BUT I HAVENT put any on either, which my GP is well pleased with, although now when I get better mobility i walk more, or use my mini exercise cycle.

Got to go my grand daughter has just arrived. mariax "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/02/08  8:45am
" Plain rice is good too, whole wheat rice better but more $. Instant white rice microwaved with chicken/beef broth for flavoring and soy sauce when eating it,if wanted. Was helpful to me too. It's easy to make. Low in calories and it does have protein in it.

When I asked this ? a few years ago to someone who had maintained their weight with MS for a long time. He told me rice helped him alot.

Then I looked at what rice had in it, PROTIEN!! It has helped me too. I'm glad he told me about it. I tend to eat less protein than I need & rice is easy to make. And not deep fat fried. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/02/08  9:02am
" Hi Maggie MS,

I got this diet from MS website, and I have been on it since the end of May. I have lost 35 pounds, and I'm in a wheelchair. It's a great diet for me. I'm never hungry. My husband knows what to make for dinner and are eating out, has completely stopped. We are saving money like crazy. It's a high protein diet. I have shown my doctor and he was quite pleased with my weight loss.

Here it is.............I also take 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar 2 times a day...This worked for me! 8 lbs in 4 days.

DAY 1
Breakfast: Black coffee, tea or more water
grapefruit or cup grapefruit juice
1 slice whole wheat toast
1 tbsp. peanut butter
Lunch: 1 can tuna in water
Black coffee, tea or more water
Dinner: 1-2 slices (fist) of any type of lean meat
1 cup of string beans
1 small apple
DAY 2
1 Boiled egg
1 Slice whole wheat toast
1 Medium size banana
Lunch: Cup Celery
Cup String Beans
Cup Tomato or Low Salt Tomato Juice
Cup Cantaloupe
Dinner: 1-2 slices (fist) any type of meat lean meat
Cup of broccoli
Cup Squash
DAY 3
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
Lunch: 1 hard boiled egg
Cup of string beans
Cup of Squash
Dinner: 1 - 8oz Steak (Broiled)
1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
1 Small Apple
DAY 4
Lunch: 1 Cup Celery
Cup of Squash
1 Small Apple
1 Cup Unsweetened Prune Juice
Dinner: 1 Hamburger Patty (Broiled)
Cup String Beans
Cup raw Tomato's
2 Cups Unsweetened Prune Juice
Day 5 Refer to Post Diet Meals (located on the last page of this program), do not exceed three meals. Do not overeat or eat until you feel over full
DAY 6
1 tbsp. peanut butter
Lunch: 1 can tuna in water
Dinner: 1-2 slices (fist) of any type of lean meat
1 cup of string beans
1 small apple
DAY 7
1 Boiled egg
1 Slice whole wheat toast
1 Medium size banana
Lunch: Cup Celery
Cup String Beans
Cup Cantaloupe
Dinner: 1-2 slices (fist) any type of meat lean meat
Cup of broccoli
Cup Squash
DAY 8
Lunch: 1 hard boiled egg
Cup of string beans
Cup of Squash
Dinner: 1 - 8oz Steak (Broiled)
1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
1 Small Apple
DAY 9
Lunch: 1 Cup Celery
Cup of Squash
1 Small Apple
1 Cup Unsweetened Prune Juice
Dinner: 1 Hamburger Patty (Broiled)
Cup String Beans
Cup raw Tomato's
2 Cups Unsweetened Prune Juice
DAY 10 Refer to Post Diet Meals (located on the last page of this program), do not exceed three meals. Do not overeat or eat until you feel over full
POST DIET NUTRITION

First lets talk about what you HAVE to try to stay away from, not completely but try to avoid when possible.

Try Avoiding;
-White Bread
-Pasta
-Sweets,
-Sugar, as minimal as possible, for e.g.. In coffee.
-Saturated Fats, (all fats from animals, excluding items like fish)
-Fried products
-Salty products
-Soda
Your're going to have to eat at least 3 meals a day depending on how long your days are, to keep your metabolism up. Each meal should consist of 20-25 grams of Protein, 25-35 grams of carbs (Complex carbs, and almost no carbs if possible for your last meal of the day) and about 5-10 grams of fat (good fat, not saturated) Complex Carbs consist of almost any form of carbohydrate that does not contain sugar, (excluding breads, pastas, white rice, these are hard to digest)

EXAMPLES OF CARBS FOR EACH MEAL
-Whole Grain Bread
-Brown Rice
-Potatoes
-Oats
-Most breakfast cereals that do not contain high amounts of sugar
-Rice Cakes
-Low fat yogurt cups
-Vegetables (for example peas, corn, etc.)
EACH SERVING SHOULD BE APPROX SIZE OF YOUR FIST

EXAMPLES OF PROTEIN FOR EACH MEAL
-Just about any form of LEAN meat, preferably chicken and steak
-Most types of seafood, cooked lean without oils
-Tuna
-Beans

EXAMPLES OF FATS FOR EACH MEAL
-Fats from Fish oils
-Fats from vegetable's
-Most types of nuts, especially peanuts

If you can't fit in 3 meals a day, a meal replacement can be taken, they contain all of the above. When you're finished each meal you should never feel full. Drink lots of water throughout the day. Most of your carbs should be eaten in the morning.

Examples of Common Meals
-Whole Wheat chicken sandwich and fruit
-Chicken, Tuna, or Fish Salad, low fat yogurt cup
-Steak, vegetables and a potato
-Egg, whole wheat toast and fruit "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/02/08  9:56am
" Find out what your RMR is (resting metabolic rate) That's what your body burns off doing absolutely nothing. Then when you know how many calories your body burns off naturally eat less than that number.

My RMR is something like, 1,400. So i eat no more than 1,200 calories a day. It helps since i have no energy to be active. If i could work out i'd eat a hell of a lot more.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/inde... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/02/08  10:00am
" I lost 10 pounds by avoiding white foods and drinking 64 oz of water a day w/o exercise. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/02/08  10:16am
" False hunger signal: tiredness

B/4 MS a person gets tired and says to themself, "I'm really tired, I better grab something to eat"

After MS a person needs to be able to say to themselves "I'm really tired but I know I have already eaten enough for today. So if I eat more, I will just gain weight & it will be more difficult for me in the future with the additional weight"

I think a person w/MS needs to kepp track or have an idea of what they eat. at first with MS, I actually kept a record. Now more likely to eat three meals, not much snacking. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/02/08  10:58am
" you may not be able to walk but believe it or not you may be able to handle some chair exercises...if you have PBS theer is a woman who has a show on daily that goes for about a half an hour...it is a lot of stretches and lightweight lifts...last year when I lost the ability to walk I did it daily and I didn't lose a ton of weight but it kept my energy and optimism up! best, kenzy "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/02/08  12:32pm
" thanks everyone for your help. It really helped me out alot, thanks again, Maggie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/02/08  4:33pm
" I like ur diet DazyDuke...but I don't even eat that much...my appetite went when I couldn't swallow. But I am going to try the apple cidar vinegar because its also a natural cleaner/antispetic or was anti biotic can'tt remember but I know it helps colds and things. so I am going to add it to my diet.
hugs
Kim "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web