Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Tattoos
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Have any of you fine people gotten a tattoo since being diagnosed withMS? My wife wants us to get one and I'm not sure. Any one

JC
Posted on 05/17/08, 08:03 pm
35 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Multiple Sclerosis (MS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/17/08  8:41pm
" My oldest friend is a tattoo artist and I have asked him about this when it's come up i the past.

I have quite a few, but none since my DX. Here's what he told me.

1. The ink CAN react with MRI machinery for some people. Especially reds. I have never had trouble, except for some slight itching for a couple of days after the MRI.

2. The artist should tell you this, if not, find a new artist.

3. He has worked on quite a few MS patients. He said we move a bit more than the average person, make sure you let your artist know.

4. You CANNOT get a tattoo within 60 days of having any kind of steroid treatment. I'm not sure about any other meds. I only know about the steroids for sure. I would look into the chemo drugs too.

Other than that, I would do it, and I know many who have with no trouble. -Jen "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/17/08  8:43pm
" i heard that some of the needle can break off the needle and the fibers can be ripped out by the MRI machine (this would obviously be a shoddy tattoo job with a lame gun though) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/17/08  8:52pm
" JR...some of the inks are actually metal based, or have metals in them. That's why they react with the MRI. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/17/08  9:15pm
" I love 'em they are like potato chips you can't get just one, then I ran out of money, All after DS. not to advanced though. I even shot in the tat. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/17/08  11:03pm
" Thanks for the input, fiesty- I am only on avonex. I really don't have any movement probs. Unless I find out anything that would negative I am probably going to do it.

JC "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/17/08  11:33pm
" Thanks for asking about this JC.. I was wondering about it too. I haven't gotten any since I was diagnosed (I have 5)and was curious how it would be to get another. Let us know how it goes if you decide to get one. :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/17/08  11:48pm
" YES
I got one Sept 2007 on my 38th birthday. The only problem was I had it put on my ankle and my leg kept jumping so my sis n law had to hold my leg down. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/17/08  11:52pm
" Thanks for the info, Jen. That's another compelling reason for me not to get tattooed. Peace always "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/18/08  1:10am
" I keep forgetting to ask my neuro about this. I use to remember saying I was glad I never got any like I was going to because all the MRI's I have to have now.

They use to ask you about any Tats when you go for MRI's and I noticed they don't anymore. Maybe they come up with something not to effect it with so many people having them and getting MRI's.

I go see neuro next month and need to make note to ask about this, thanks for the reminder!! :)

All the best! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 06/11/08  11:39pm
" Hi,
Went to my neuro today and showed her my new tattoo and she told me that people with ms should not get tats because they interefere with myelin. thought she was lieing she said no, had has several patients with it and they have had new lesions at levels consistent with tats. i laughed and then found that my reflexs at level of my tat is off and hasn't been since 1996. she said no more tats. lol "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web