Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Sharps Disposal
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Just wondering how everyone disposes of their sharps containers. I don't like the idea of having to take them over to the fire department and show my Driver's License and such. Seems like such an ordeal. Thought I'd see what everyone else does.
Posted on 11/23/08, 12:59 pm
25 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Multiple Sclerosis (MS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/23/08  1:31pm
" After a long search - which involved phoning chemists, the council and various other authorities (none of whom were the slightest bit of help)I got in touch with the local needle exchange centre. Here I can (quite privately ) dump my full bin and get a new one for no charge.

However, I have since obtained a needle clipper which bites off the needle and stores it then the syringe can go into the normal garbage.It's called a BD Safe Clip and they're made in New Jersey.

On the funny side, after I complained to the local council about their dirty and hideous public needle bin , which is located in a busy shopping centre, I noticed the bin was replaced with a brand new (but still hideous) bright yellow needle bin. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/23/08  1:42pm
" Well, both my pharmacy and my friend (who is a nurse and her supervisor told her)....to put them in a heavy plastic bottle (Tide, clorox etc) that is colored so you can't see thru it. Tighten and tape the lid and put in the garbage. That still seems illegal to me, and although I REALLY want to do that, I'm afraid to!!

Now, my dad is diabetic, and he is able to take his container to his doctor's office (regular PCP), and empty it. I haven't looked into that yet, but now my first container is filled to the max, so I'm going to have to do something soon! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/23/08  4:41pm
" Here we take it to the chemist or the doctor's surgery for them to dispose of it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/23/08  5:04pm
" I just duct tape mine shut and then put it in a bag and tie it and then put it in my regular garbage. I asked about this when I went on the injections and I was told in Illinois this is what I could do. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/23/08  6:40pm
" We use a little device that shared solutions provided that nips off the sharp part of the needle and self store it. Each one holds up to 900 or so needle ends then you just throw it away in regular trash as they are safely contained. We found a source on line and at the moment I can't remember what the hell they are called but when I do I will post, they are conveniant and much more compact than those bigass containers. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/24/08  3:41am
" Every state has different laws. That is why you are getting all of these different answers. In Colorado, which is where I lived when I was taking copaxone, you could duct tape a laundry plastic bottle and throw it in the trash . In Nebraska, where I also lived, the company actually provided me with labels and I would mail the full bottles back to them to be disposed. Not been on injects here in florida, so I don't know but I do know two diabetics who throw then in the trash... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/24/08  7:55am
" I bring mine to my accupuncturist & she disposes them with hers.

I felt the same way about bringing them somewhere in my community...my own business. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/24/08  9:18am
" I bring mine to Walgreen's they are a needle disposal site. I dispose of my needls in a plastic laundry detergent bottle, when full I tape the cap on...not required I'm just nice and do that. Place laundry bottle in 2 plastig grocery bags, that is reqired, then turn it in at Walgreens pharmacy for disposal "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 11/24/08  9:31am
" It depends on the state you live in. Where I live we put them in a rigid plastic container & throw them in with the regular trash.

I don't like to use the red sharps containers, just incase a dog gets in my trash.

Where I live, it's big bucks to dispose of the red hazardous waste containers. For that reason doctors office & hospitals will not accept them.

I don't like the idea of clipping the needle off. We stopped doing that at hospitals here years ago, due to the dangers of doing it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/24/08  9:54am
" I actually bend the tip of my needle (to make it not reusable) as a matter of habit now...though I guess they are still sharp. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web