how to help/support my sister that has MS
My sister found out a couple weeks ago that she has MS. She SEEMS to be handling it pretty well. My mom is really stressing her out. I've talked to my mom about it today. We will see if anything changes. My sister is a high anxiety person anyway. I've heard stress makes MS worse. I live in a different state. My sons and I have made some relaxtion type things to send her. I wish she would get into a support group. So she can talk with people who REALLY know what she going through. What can I do to help?
Posted on 06/23/08, 06:05 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Multiple Sclerosis (MS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 06/23/08  6:14pm
" The best thing to do is to be a support and let her know that you love her. Each person deals with the news they have a chronic disease differently. I've been diagnosed for 4 months now and my family has been great because they haven't made me feel like I'm any different because of the disease. They treat me as they did before I had it. Of course, little things like sending fun treats (your relaxation things) are great! My brothers and sisters that live out of town put some money together and ordered a TON of Chinese food (my fav) a couple days after I had my spinal tap. My mom was out here taking care of me and they wanted us to have something to make us smile. Kind gestures and reminders that you love are are all you can do. The one thing I'll tell you NOT to do is tell her how she should handle things or how she should feel. I get so annoyed when people haven't been in my shoes try to tell me how or what I need to do to cope with the disease better. I just don't feel that they really understand.

Hope that helps. If you have questions feel free to message me. "
Reply #2 - 06/23/08  6:28pm
" Send her the link to DS. We will help you take care of her. "
Reply #3 - 06/24/08  8:07am
" I agree with LilMargie. Also your mom and sister can hook up with the local MS Society. They are supportive for all family members and very informative. 1-800-FIGHTMS. "
Reply #4 - 06/24/08  8:07am
" I agree with LilMargie. Also, your mom and sister can hook up with the local MS Society. They are supportive for all family members and very informative. 1-800-FIGHTMS. "
Reply #5 - 06/24/08  8:09am
" sorry, I screwed up and sent message twice. "
Reply #6 - 06/24/08  9:01am
" This is a good place in general for her to find support.

The key to helping someone with MS is to realize that both the chemistry and anatomy of the central nervous system get thrown off, and so if she seems edgier or more irritable or more fatigued than usual, it's not the person inside, it's the unwelcome guest that we sometimes call the "MonSter".

I've used analogy of home wiring in the past. If you take all of the insulation off of a wire, it's liable to spark, get hot, and burn out. Same thing for the neuron's when the myelin between the connectors (the axons) gets messed up. A person's tolerances for stress (lots of brain activity required) and heat go way down.

Ask questions whenever you have them. We'll do our best to answer. By the way, I'm here in support of my wife, so it's okay for you to be here too. Thanks for caring. "