Copaxone injections in stomach
Ok, I've had MS for 27 years. After having to stop inteferons, and a number of years with no disease modifying meds, i find myself "new" to copaxone. I have a mental fear of injecting into the stomach area. Do you inject into your stomach? How do you find it. If you had an apprehension about it, how did you get over it? Any advice is appreciated!
Posted on 05/14/08, 10:14 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Multiple Sclerosis (MS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 05/14/08  10:21am
" I'm not on Copaxone (I'm on Rebif) but I had the same reservations about injecting on my stomach. Finally, I grew some balls and tried it. It actually hurts the LEAST of all my injection sites so far. As my friend Knuckles advises, "the more chub, the better." That is, pick a chubby spot and put the needle in really slow. You really won't feel much. Also, it hurts a lot less to do it manually as opposed to the Autoinjector. We call it the Automutilator!

Good luck! I know you can do it! "
Reply #2 - 05/14/08  10:24am
" I agree with Kerry... I'm on Rebif too... but I was scared to death of needles. Finding out I had to give myself shots was almost as scary as finding out I had MS. The first couple I did in my thighs with the autoinjector... then I tried without it and I have to say I haven't used it since! I was scared to death to do it in my stomach... but that's my favorite place now! It hurts the least there for me. "
Reply #3 - 05/14/08  11:05am
" it's actually better for me than the thigh or arm area. One because someone is not always around to give me my shot in the arm and two because i get a weird reaction when i inject into my thigh. Just make sure to inject VERY superficially because you'll get a horrible pain if you go too deep "
Reply #4 - 05/15/08  10:17am
" I was finally dx w/ MS in 1995 and started using Copaxone in '96 or '97. I found that I preferred injecting in the stomach more than any other place - a) because I have plenty of "chub" there (LOL), and b) because I had a hysterectomy in 1986 and a lot of that area is still numb. While I can't afford the Copaxone anymore so am not taking it, there were times when I would occasionally get the sting, but more often than not, it was like nothing. As far as apprehension goes (and this is just general apprehension, not specifically tummy related), I planned my very first injection in my thigh (and this was in the days before the AutoJect!) - sat there at the kitchen table for probably 3 hours before I finally got up the nerve to "Just Do It!". Good luck! "
Reply #5 - 05/15/08  11:03am
" It's the best! "
Reply #6 - 05/15/08  5:36pm
" I have been on insulin injections since 1968, so now doing REbiff injections was nothing new. Using the stomach for me is the best, but you MUST MUST MUST rotate with the copaxone. The rebiff caused a little atrophy in my inner thigh, so I have to rotate further on that thigh. In the stomach, as the other people said, choose a chunker spot. This will ease the uptake of the medication also. IF you find it is a tight muscle area, try to go around that cause that will hurt more than a chunkier spot. I did the copaxone last year and it was not as "burny" as the rebiff, so I envy you. When you rotate back to the same area, make sure it is not the same exact spot. Try to make it like an inch or so around, this will save any problems of atrophy. I got atrophy from the insulin injectsion on both thighs also. Atrophy is not painful, its just a weakened area. Obviously if that happens, just check with your doc. Stomach has less nerves than any other area, so it rocks for shots.!!! GOod luck, "
Reply #7 - 05/15/08  10:11pm
" Thank you all for the very thoughtful advice. I believe I will try my stomach after all. I've started by using the auto injector. Most of my self injection experience was with Avonex, which is quite nasty to do to yourself. Now that I have seen the size of the needle (small) and heard from all of you I will try injecting without the auto inject and will also give my "chub" LOL a try. Thanks to all.
Jan "
Reply #8 - 05/15/08  10:13pm
" i listen to music on my ipod when i do it...it works :) "
Reply #9 - 05/17/08  3:30pm
" I've had MS for 18 yrs and on Copaxone for 10. And i agree with KansasKerry. It is one of the spots that hurts the least. Especially if you are rotating sites and using heat and ice. "
Reply #10 - 05/17/08  5:13pm
" Ditto to all of the above. I was on Betaseron for 11 years, and just switched to Copaxone. I've had a little of the stinging pain kinda thing, but that's it. No nasty site reactions yet. I do not use the auto injector either, I find it hurts much worse if I do. Good luck to you. :-) "