Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
MS sickness
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I've heard that MS can make ordinary sickness, like a cold, worse. If true, can a cold also make MS seem worse? My legs feel stranger, even hurting and I've had a few accidents and I was only diagnosed a few months ago.
Posted on 01/13/08, 06:30 pm
6 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Multiple Sclerosis (MS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/13/08  6:41pm
" A cold seems to make me worse. The worst my legs have ever been happened twice..both times after a bad cold. Makes sense, it's probably stirring up the immune system somehow. I don't know if the cold itself was worse, a bunch of us had the cold at the same time and I don't think mine was worse. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/13/08  6:48pm
" Illnesses can make your MS symptoms seem worse. And vive-a-versa MS can make an illness seem worse. I just know that over the las 14 years whenever I get sick, it usually takes longer to recover, and I will have an increase in MS symptoms, esp balance and eyesight. That is why my GP makes sure I get flu shots yearly, and she takes me in right away when I call with other problems (sinus infections, UTI, etc.). I think I have a flu big now, and I have been sleeping it off mostly. Hope you feel better soon! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/13/08  7:30pm
" I have noticed my symptoms of MS are worse when I do get a cold/pneumonia... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/13/08  11:13pm
" I do not find the common cols bothers me that much, but I had the flu 2 years ago and I have never been so sick in my entire life. I had vertigo, I thru up non-stop for 3 days. I got so sick I could not even walk, and for six months after that I had to walk with a cane. That had never happened to me before. i talked to me docotr about this and she said anytime you get sick with ms it will be completley different then ever before and it is not very good. Because the immune system is on high alert trying ti fight your virus or whatever it may be it also attacks you. Our bodies do not differenciate between the bad (virus) or the good, which is us. I agree with dnjnm, my doctor makes me get a flu shot every year. It works real well and I have hardley been sick since the I dot the flu. Hope all goes well:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/22/08  1:08pm
" I had the flu in October, for the first time in YEARS!!! I was soooo sick...ended up completely dehydrated because I couldn't keep ANYTHING down, and had to go to the emergency room 12 hours in to it. I stayed home sick for 5 days. My boyfriend got it, missed a day of work, and was all good...I also was wondering if maybe I got it worse than he did because of my messed up immune system??? Will be asking neurologist tomorrow (have an appt.) and will get back with what he says. Maybe I should start getting a flu shot??? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/24/08  7:14pm
" I was advised since being diagnosed that because of my MS, my immune system is also affected so if I get a cold or the flu, it can make my MS feel worse. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web