Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Chemo Brain
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My dr told me today I have chemo brain. I told him I had been forgetting things more than normal and sometimes I couldn't finish a sentence because I couldn't get the words to come out. Anybody else heard of this before or feel this way?
Posted on 07/30/08, 06:22 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Multiple Myeloma. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/30/08  10:10pm
" Hi poppy, The Dr. is right it's caused by the chemo and the Multiple Myeloma, . But the good news is when you off the chemo and the MM is in remission it will go away or get better. I have it too. Good luck to you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/31/08  9:27am
" I hope things get better for you. Its scary forgetting things.How are you keeping? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/31/08  9:35am
" Hi
I had to laugh when I read your entry, as I too have Chemo Brain and have had it for over a year now. I even find myself annoying at times!! I was on chemo for a year before my BMT and that's when it was the worst, but now that I've had my BMT and off chemo I have seen an improvement. It will get better!! Check out my blog about MM at www.janscancerjourney.blogspot.com as I have several entries talking about chemo brain! Hang in there! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/19/08  10:58am
" I know what you mean about chemo brain and MM. Sometimes I feel like there must be chunks of info. missing from my brain or that I was "absent" when certain events took place.My wife thinks I have "selective memory" as well as "selective hearing." "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/05/08  10:19am
" Poppy-
Yes, while my chemo brain symptoms have improved steadily since my chemo and pbsct in '95-'97, I still experience difficulties with word recollection, facial recognition, short term memory.

I came across and article this am for preventative use of a supplement but I have also been supplementing with this to heal my chemo brain.

http://beating-myeloma.org/forum/si...

you can go to this page and search for forum posts on chemo brain-

David Emerson
http://beating-myeloma.org/ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/10/08  5:01pm
" I've been fighting MM for 9yrs now. I had chemo for the first yr. then steroids, then Revlimid for the last 4t yrs. I HAVE CHEMO BRAIN!! I can't think of words, I forgot things that I used to know, People tell me things and I ask the same questions, etc. But you know what? my husband has the same symptoms (not as bad,,, but still) and he does NOT have MM. So I'm not sure how much of it is MM, drugs, or just age.! You learn to live with it and it will get to you every once in a while but AT Least your alive and here to complain about it!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/27/08  11:47pm
" Yes , but with my husband they called it chemo fog. I think he still has it, i know he isn't the same as he was before all these treatments and chemo and his memory and mind is definitely not as sharp as it used to be.
Michelle "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/02/08  2:56am
" Hi Poppy-- I know that you wrote this a while ago, but I'm presuming that you are still suffering from 'chemo brain'. I have the same problem and I believe it is a combination of the chemo and the medication for pain as well as the normal aging process. Many people my age (62), who do not have MM, often complain about memory loss and its just a normal process. Doing memory exercises helps this situation, but when you add in chemo and morphine then you have a completely different situation. You have to recognise that this will happen and work on strategies to address it - things like keeping notes of telephone calls, making calendar lists of up coming events, keeping lists of the many things you do need to remember, and using your camera to help twig your memory. All these things help, and I find that eventually I will remember what I've forgotten in that moment, but unfortunately that moment is gone! You need a saving saying - 'I'll get back to you with that answer..." etc. Good luck Poppy, you too can overcome this!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 12/15/08  9:49pm
" My husband has this same problem. I have to leave sticky notes to remind him of different things. My aunt found out in August that she has colon cancer. She is now going through chemo and has the same problem. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/31/08  6:42am
" My mom is the same way. I know exactly what u mean. Is that what they call it? I thought she was having like beginning signs alzheimers. How old are you? If u don't mind telling :-) "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web