How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
has anyone taken misoprostol and it didn't work??
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has taken misoprostol for a missed miscarriage and it didn't work?

My husband and I are very sad. On Monday we learned that our baby had not heartbeat, and stopped developing around 7-8 weeks. Sadly I cannot even remember which. The ultrasound woman hardly said anything and I went in there telling her i believed i had had a miscarriage. I had experienced bleeding, backaches, and cramping over the last week.

So, the doctor recommended i take misoprostol to avoid a d&c. I thought this sounded like a great idea. I got the prescription and took the first dose vaginally as prescribed. Twelve hours later, I passed what i thought was the gestational sac.

Only on Friday did i learn i did not pass the gestational sac and that the miscarriage was not over. The doctor again recommended I take misoprostol, in part because they would not be able to schedule a d&c before Monday anyways.

However, I took it again and absolutely nothing happened. I had a little cramping but no bleeding. Nothing.
I am sad and frustrated about this. I just want this to be over.

I don't understand why it is not working. I've read studies where it works 75% if not more, of the time. I don't understand why it won't work with me.

I just want this to be over with. We want to try again but of course need to wait at least 2 cycles.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice?
Posted on 04/26/09, 04:03 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Miscarriage. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/26/09  9:31pm
" Sorry Amiga to hear about your loss. I understand as I took misoprostol and it didn't work for me either. I ended up having to have a D&C. I also had to have a series of methotraxate shots b/c of abnormal cells.

Hang in there things will get better!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/27/09  2:31am
" thanks. it helps me to hear that i am not alone with this.
i am trying to think positive "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/27/09  7:13pm
" I took misopristol twice for one pregnancy and it didn't work either of the times for me to pass all the tissue. Sorry sweetie. This will end, it's just not very quick. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/27/09  10:19pm
" Sorry about your loss.
We had something similar happen. Baby's heart stopped beating around 7 weeks.
Doctor prescribed misoprostyl and meth(sp??? it's also called ru 486)
Pharmacies thought I was nuts when Icalled around. They said that the second half -meth... could not be purchased over the counter.
Anyway, I had the miso inserted, but no luck. Just some cramping and clots.
I tried to avoid a d and c. Worried about scarring and trying to conceive again. Ended up having one.
I was so glad I did. No pain at all. I went from the hurting side of a miscarriage to the healing side. Started feeling more like myself. Hopefully we can start trying again soon! Confidence in your doctor is huge!
Good luck! It is so hard to be in limbo like that. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/27/09  11:32pm
" i was prescribed misoprostol for my blighted ovum at 11 weeks. i inserted 2 tablets over the span of 4 hours. initially it didn't work, but after a couple of hours i had the urge to run to the bathroom every 20-30 mins. never bled so much in my life. my doc warned me that the bleeding would be insane, but it still didn't prepare me for what lied ahead. my poor bf had to run to the pharmacy and by the overnight-granny-shoulder pads because the thin ones that i normally used didn't not stand a chance. needless to say i slept in another bed for fear of bleeding all over my bf. hell the bleeding was so bad that i fainted twice in my bathroom floor while my bf was asleep in the adjoining room. i was supposed to take 4 tablets in all, but after the 2 i called my doc, she told me to stop and if the bleeding continued, then i would need to go to the er.

thankfully the bleeding slowed down, but i continued to spot for another 8 weeks. looking back, i regret taking those pills. i only did so because i knew i couldn't wait another minute walking around with the "products of conception". plus i was also afraid of surgery. an u/s 2 days later showed that i passed everything. while i know my story ended differently from yours, just know that i still felt the pain several weeks later. sorry for your loss and hope this issue resolves so that your body can bounce back and conceive again. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/28/09  1:25am
" Hi I recently took this medicine on April 19, 2009 I remember that day like it was yesterday. :( I to went in for an ultrasound and my baby had no heartbeat. How many pills did u use? what were the mg? That has a lot to do with why it didn't work "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/28/09  11:42am
" Amiga, sorry for your loss. I was given 1 does of this and was up all night w/ contractions but when I went back the next day, the Dr. said the egg sac was still there (embryo was gone- "resorbed"). I thought he was going to give me another dose but instead did what I thought was a partial D&C but he called a biopsy- he later told me he was hoping to get things started. They then gave me a shot of methotrexate and 2 days later I passed it. I know he was very reluctant to attempt a D&C because I have LARGE fibroids that made it difficult for him to even locate my cervix for the "biopsy".
Wishing you the best! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/28/09  1:40pm
" well i have a d&c scheduled for tomorrow and am now just looking to get this over with.
i wouldve liked to have avoided the surgery, but mentally the past week and a half has been very difficult.

as to the dosage, on Monday, I took 800mg vaginally. 12 hours later, the same.
Then on friday, I took 400mg orally and 12 hours later, 800mg vaginally.

thanks to all of you for sharing your stories and experience. i feel i am dealing with this better by sharing it hear and again, knowing i am not alone.
thanks "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web