Miscarriage Support Group
This community is dedicated to those who have experienced the traumatizing event of a miscarriage or a stillbirth. Miscarriage remains one of the most common complication of pregnancy, but that doesn't make it easy to deal with. Join the group and find support in the company of others who know what you're going through.
deleted_user
I have had 4 miscarriages in the past 3 years. None of the fetus's have lasted past 9 weeks. The first three had no heartbeat, the last one we heard a heartbeat at 7 weeks, and by 8w6d, it was gone. The doctors say I may have protein s deficiency...I've never heard of this. Does anyone know anything about it? She says the tests are very expensive and she's not sure if my insurance pays for it. I told my doc i will probably pay the money, if they really think I have this, I definitally want to know if I do or don't.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
Did your doctor order any blood tests that would make her think you have this deficiency, or have you had a history of blood clots? I would think it is definitely worth having the blood test...if the results show a problem then your doctor could provide you treatment during the next pregnancy. Has your doctor run any other blood tests for recurrent miscarriage? I hope you are able to get some ananswers from your doctor.
1. Protein S is a natural anticoagulant. Having a deficiency increases your risk for blood clots and miscarriages.
2. The recommended treatment for pregnant women is often heperin injections in the stomach 2x daily.
3. If you develop a blood clot (like me), you will need to be treated with blood thinners for life. (I take tablets, no injections)
4. Protein S Deficiency may be inherited (like mine) or accquired. Pregnancy or birth control pills may cause low Protein S. To determine if it is genetic, you would need to wait until you were off birth control or not pregnant for awhile.
5. Protein S Deficiency is a serious blood disorder! Your insurance should cover it!! My test cost about $650 and my insurance paid 100%.
Good luck, and I hope this helps!
Individuals with homozygosity for the MTHFR mutation and any other predisposing factor (protein S deficiency, protein C deficiency, antithrombin III deficiency, the thrombophilic prothrombin mutation, factor V Leiden, or antiphospholipid antibodies), high dose folate supplementation beginning preconceptually may have a protective effect.
Those who have had one or more stillbirths and are found to have a thrombophilic mutation (not including MTHFR homozygosity in isolation) heparin and low dose aspirin may be appropriate
Hope this helps, but yes I would recommend the testing as this could not only explain your losses, but could allow you treatment that could help you carry a baby to term. Hugs, Fern