3 Weeks after d&c- advice please!
I had a miscarriage and a subsequent D&C 4 weeks ago. I've been feeling better (less hormonal) and was planning to begin trying to conceive again after my first cycle. Last Monday I began to feel a lot of weird pressure/aches in my lower abdomin, just as I had experienced when I initially found out I was pregnant last time. This prompted me to get a digital (high tech :-) pregnancy test and the results showed up positive (3 weeks after my d&c). I wasn't sure if this was residual hormones from my last pregnancy or a new pregnancy. My doctor said this was normal, that the hcg hormone can stay in you for 4-6 weeks, and the aches below were probably my ovaries "waking up." It's been a week and I still feel this weird ovarian pain. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I demand a blood test or something else from my doctor? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Posted on 11/04/07, 06:16 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Miscarriage. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 11/04/07  8:15pm
" I am 8 weeks post my m/c and I am still going through pregnancy pains. A few weeks ago I was still showing a small amount of HCG in my system, they said it was jsut left over from the m/c.

I would ask for a blood test to double check your HCG, that should give you more of an idea. "
Reply #2 - 11/04/07  8:24pm
" I would get a serum HCG checked. That will tell you. Then repeat in 3 days to see if it doubles or if it is the same. Then you'd know for sure. But having some residual is not out of the ordinary. "
Reply #3 - 11/05/07  2:47pm
" oh im glad you asked this
im 3 1/2 weeks past D&C and was fine and suddenly started getting stomach pains...were similar to pains i got at beginning of last 2 pregnancys. i thought i was startign period but it hasnt come (been having them a week or so) so guessing it isnt that.
i did pregnancy tests last week and got a positive reading, tho got some this last weekend and theyre showing negative. so i dunno.... i hope its normal...maybe it is just the ovaries... "
Reply #4 - 11/05/07  4:31pm
" It is so nice to know that I am not alone. I guess the body can do funny things after a miscarriage and subsequent d&c. I went for a blood test today to monitor my hcg levels and make sure they are going down appropriately. I'm not sure what to do about the pain, though. It's a constant physical reminder of the torture I have gone through. "
Reply #5 - 12/07/07  6:01pm
" I'm 5 weeks post D&C and my HCG levels are still not down (they just measured it at 83, which shows up quite clearly as "pregnant" on the home pregnancy tests). I can speak on good authority that there's no way it's because I'm pregnant again. No pains, though. I'm frustrated - I want to start trying again, but have to wait for this to go away... "
Reply #6 - 02/02/08  8:39pm
" I had D&C 5 weeks ago and my HCG was 629. I am waiting on the next HCG test to see what's going on. Nervouse, possibly excited that it could be new pregnacy. Any comments? "
Reply #7 - 02/02/08  8:40pm
" Maybe that was unclear. . . My HCG after 5 weeks is 629 "
Reply #8 - 02/03/08  11:29am
" Hey, I understand your pain because after my two dnc's, I had alot of pain. I don't want to worry you, but I went to the dr. and when she did an ultrasound, she noticed that there were 'products of conception' left in my uterus. Again, I don't want to scare you but if you are having pain, please ask for this because if left untreated, it could be very dangerous. I hope that it is not that, and I hope you find your answers! Take care:) "