How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Miscarriage Information

• Miscarriage or spontaneous abortion is the natural or accidental termination of a pregnancy at a stage where the embryo or the fetus is incapable of surviving, generally defined at a gestation of prior to 20 weeks. Miscarriages are the most common complication of pregnancy. The term "abortion" refers to any terminated pregnancy, deliberately induced or spontaneous, although in common parlance it refers specifically to active termination of pregnancy...
  • Miscarriages occur more often than most people think. About 25% of women will experience one in their lives. Up to 78% of all conceptions may fail, in most cases before the woman even knows she is pregnant. A fifth of confirmed pregnancies have some bleeding occurring in the first 20 weeks and in all 15% proceed to miscarriage.[2] After the age of 35, the risk of miscarriage increases considerably: 1 in 5 or 6. After 40, the risk increases to 1 in 3, and after 45 it is 1 in 2.

Although a woman physically recovers from a miscarriage quickly, psychological recovery can take a long time. Women can differ a lot in this regard: some are 'over it' after a few months, others take more than a year. Still other women may feel relief or other less negative emotions.

For the women who do go through a process of grief, it is often as if the baby had been born but died. How short a time the child in her womb has lived may not matter for the feeling of loss. From the moment a woman becomes aware that she is pregnant she can start to bond with her unborn child. When the child turns out not to be viable, dreams, fantasies and plans for the future are disturbed roughly.

Besides the feeling of loss, a lack of understanding by others is often important. People who have not experienced a miscarriage themselves may find it hard to empathise with what has occurred and how upsetting it may be. This may lead to unrealistic expectations of the woman's recovery. The pregnancy and miscarriage are hardly mentioned anymore in conversation, often too because the subject is too painful. This can make the woman feel isolated.

View Top Miscarriage Answers at sharecare.com

Health Blogs

Many miscarriages are due to chromosomal abnormalities, and the abnormality is a random, DNA Russian roulette. Chances are very good that your next pregnancy will go perfectly well. There are a few things that you can do to help decrease your chances of miscarriage, if you are ready to try again, such as ... Read More »
There are so many things that need to go right for a pregnancy to go full-term, it’s a wonder we can reproduce at all. And when one thing doesn’t go right, it can mean a miscarriage. Sometimes it’s just “bad luck” (I hated when my doctor said that), or an egg or sperm with fractured DNA. But sometimes, a miscarriage can happen because ... Read More »
If you are taking the time to read this, I am guessing you, or someone close to you, has suffered a miscarriage. First, let me say, I am sorry for what you are going through. I had three in a row, and they just suck all the joy out of life: but, only for a while. The sadness and anger dissipate, and are slowly replaced by hope, and the will to try ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement
Community Advisors
Lee Trask
Infertility Blogger

Latest Activity