Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Headache/Migraine after crying?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anyone else get headaches, or even ongoing migrains after crying?
It's almost like a sinus headache! Oh it's horrible. And they hurt so much.
I had one last me two days. A MIGRAINE, because I cried for 20 minutes.
Of course, my birth control may have something to do with the intensity of the migraines.
But does anyone know how I can prevent this from happening?
Other than the obvious, don't cry.
But with depression, that's a bit hard to do.
Thanks,
Nicole
Posted on 02/08/11, 12:06 am
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Migraine Headaches. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/09/11  5:20pm
" When I get a migraine the pain is so bad that I want to cry but I know that crying will only make the pain worse, so I have to suck it up. Almost every time I cry (which is a lot) I get a migraine after wards...it sucks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/09/11  9:33pm
" No, I'm sorry, from my experience, whenever I have a migraine crying makes it worse. And, I too suffer from depression, so a real bad 20 minute cry that I cannot control will trigger a migraine for me.

I was in the ER once for a severe stomach problem, (I had been in the waiting room for 6 hours), when I started to cry. Well, the ER nurse was telling me to calm down and breathe, or else I would trigger a migraine!
And she was right! I was admitted 2 hours later with a severe migraine and stomache blockage. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days.

I try not to cry with grandeur! I just let tears roll down my face if they must........ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/17/11  12:54am
" I am one who also suffers from migraines after I cry sometimes. It's especially bad if I tend to have a very hard, very long cry. :/ Yes, I can relate that, with depression, avoiding crying is very hard to do.

Do you journal your migraines? I just made a super long post in the "Chronic migraines for over a year" thread where I talked about this. I'm sorry I can't repeat it right now, my wrist hurts so bad I can't type any more! :( I really apologize. I am a mess tonight (migraine, back pain off the charts, carpal tunnel acting up, depressed...etc). Thankful I'm seeing my pain doc tomorrow. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/21/11  10:26am
" Wow! I thought I was the only person who gave myself migraines from crying. On top of that, I usually get a sinus infection. Anyhow, for the sinus pain/pressure due to crying, I've started using Afrin nasal spray. I've noticed a significant decrease in debilitating migraines. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/22/11  7:45pm
" I had no idea that crying could CAUSE a migraine. I guess now that I think about it, it makes sense. The migraines cause the depression, cause the crying, the crying causes the migraine. Nice circle. Being on anti depressantants for the headaches and the depression does help with the crying. My doctor said the same part of the brain is depression and is migraines "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web