Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Do Bananas Really Help?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I heard that eating a banana can sometimes help relieve migraines, but I have also heard that bananas can trigger them. Has anyone tried this? Do you think it helped?
Posted on 08/10/07, 12:17 am
8 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Migraine Headaches. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/10/07  9:41am
" i guess if your potassium levels are irregulare than a banana might effect your migrain. i've never tried it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/10/07  7:30pm
" I would think the banana would be due to potassium trouble, or maybe magnesium. Don't bananas have magnesium too? I'm not sure. Anyway, that would be my guess. I've never tried it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/28/07  10:12pm
" i have a natural low potassium level so a banana a day actual lessens the intensity of my tension/migraines that i have that day. i just can't afford daily bananas. but it does help lessen how bad they are if you have a low level.
best of luck and best of wishes
love
lauri "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/29/07  1:51am
" The potassium can help. The tryptophan can hurt. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/29/07  5:23am
" I can not eat bananas..never. I will get a migraine with in the next 24 hours, always. I love them, I crave them but a migraine is always around the corner when I eat one. It took me years to learn that is a trigger for me, for sure.
Sue "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/05/07  8:03am
" I am going to the Diamond Headache Clinic for my migraines, and the first fruit on the list NOT to eat are bananas. I asked the doctor why and she said because the body gets potassium from so many different place that bananas puts a body in overload. She did say however, one a week is fine as long as you only eat 1/2 at 2 sittings. I was bummed because I LOVE bananas. Laurie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/05/07  8:16pm
" Hi, I am a part of a huge Headache Pain Managment group at a hospital and the first thing it named in fruits on what to avoid was bannanas. Hope all is well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/25/11  5:06pm
" I get terrible headaches sometimes--migraines run in my family. I've noticed after the last few headaches I've had that I'd eat a banana (primarily for convenience/ease as I'd head to work late due to the headache and I'd eat on the run a banana) and the pain was gone! I know it's on the list of triggers, but for me, it's provided total relief on my last three headaches... "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web