Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Candles a trigger?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am just curious because that last two Sundays I have had bad headaches. It just occurred to me that I lit this new candle both days. It may just be a coincidence, but I am trying to stay on top of this situation.

My head hurts so much that I posted this in the wrong community first...geez
Posted on 01/13/08, 05:58 pm
7 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Migraine Headaches. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/13/08  7:22pm
" I've found that different scents can trigger my headaches. I had one this morning. Tried darvocet first. After a couple hours of suffering i took an imitrex. I hate to take them because they are so expensive. They do work. Anyway... Pine scented candles can trigger one for me if it's too strong. I also used to work with lavender and had to be careful to wear a mask. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/13/08  7:48pm
" Well it was a balsam fir Christmas candle. I diffused it and left the house for awhile, but the headache stayed with me. Imitrex has not worked for me at all. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/13/08  8:17pm
" With candles - it can be the scent, or it can be direct flickering light focused on your eye. (Same thing with ceiling fans going over regular lights, that pulse does something..)

And it wouldn't go away just because the scent is gone, because once you are triggered - the migraine has already spread across your brain. Once you are feeling pain, you are already in the full on throes of a migraine.

That is if it is a migraine. You know your body, though. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/13/08  10:34pm
" Scents can trigger migraines. I have also heard that vanilla candles were bad for astma(sp) sufferers. Vanilla candles coates the walls, curtains etc.. I don't know why or how. My daughters exboyfriend has astma really bad and he couldn't step a foot in the house if a vanilla candle had even been lit a day before. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/14/08  9:39am
" sure i can just like perfumes or soaps it can trigger them because of the chemicals i hate going into the mall where perfume sedtions are because it can just about kill me also the metal used in most candles puts off a toxic oder into the air they use them in the wicks unless you find the bees wax ones without metal in the wicks "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/22/08  8:58pm
" I have to agree with the majority here. Scents trigger mine too. There's no going down the scented candle aisle for me. It may not be all candles. It could just be strong scents like that one. Hope this helps. (BTW, Imitrex never worked for me either...) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/23/08  9:32pm
" Scented candles trigger for me too. Doesn't seem to be particular ones. Also, ficus trees. Imitrex worked for a while but quit. Now I use Zomig and have better results. Though I had to switch to the tables you swallow instead of the ones that disengrate in the mouth (the flavor/smell was making me gag). "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web