8 months pregnant and still using.
Only a meth user undertstands how hard it is to kick this nasty, evil habit.... I've been using through my whole pregnancy.. I pray to god my baby will come out healthy & fine.. My other main concern is CPS... My docter mentioned she found meth in my system because every time i go there they ask to leave a urine sample. She didn't sound too concerned she just suggested i have nothing in my system when i go in to labor. I've heard this from numerous people that CPS has already got there eye on me because of the docter finding drugs in my system. I don't know if thats true or not but i'm really worried and scared.. I'm due in 3 weeks and Today is my last day of using but can somebody please give me advice on how CPS works and how long does meth stay in your system and if i stop today and don't do it from here on out do you think they still can find meth in my system when i have the baby?? Please i am in need of somebody's help. You would be a savior. Thank you.
Posted on 04/22/12, 04:42 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Meth Addiction & Recovery. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 04/22/12  2:36pm
" Wish you and baby good luck with staying sober! CPS probably are waiting for birth to see if they need to step in. I wish your doctor was more concerned and would have provided you with helpful resources.

I worry about withdrawal issues for baby! My friend was told not to quit her chronic marijuana smoking while pregnant or she could have a miscarriage. I am in no way trying to give you an excuse to keep using!! But an excuse to get more educated on this serious matter! Quitting without outside help is a setup for failure at this point

I just think your doctor should have educated you about the safest options. You are not alone! This is an epidemic for thousands of infants in the U.S.

Please seek professional guidance! God Help You! I am praying for you! "
Reply #2 - 04/24/12  12:25am
" Sun Sentinel

Updated: 10:03 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011

Posted: 9:50 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011

Florida's prescription drug epidemic, already responsible for nearly seven deaths a day, is taking its toll on the youngest, most vulnerable in our communities: newborns.

In 2009, nearly 1,000 babies born in Florida hospitals were treated for drug withdrawal syndrome. They're irritable. They don't eat well. They can spend days, even weeks, detoxing.

And the number is skyrocketing.

Janet Colbert, a registered nurse in a neonatal intensive care unit at a Broward County hospital, witnesses with alarming frequency the heartbreaking physical trauma these newborns endure.

"I kept seeing the torture these babies are going through," said Colbert, 59, of Dania Beach. "This one baby, he couldn't even feed. He was screaming, his face was just quivering so badly he couldn't even get his face around the nipple to feed — and I just said I have to do something."

Last spring, Colbert and two other women, also healthcare professionals, founded the STOPP Now organization (Stop the Organized Pull Pushers). They stage monthly protests at certain Broward County pain clinics they consider to be pill mills doling out excessive quantities of narcotic painkillers.

From 2006 to 2009, there was a 173 percent increase in newborns treated at Florida hospitals for drug withdrawal syndrome, according to Agency of Health Care Administration records obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

The most recent data show no signs of a slowdown. During the first half of 2010, 635 cases were reported.

While the state records don't specify which narcotics those babies tested positive for, South and Central Florida doctors say a majority of the withdrawal cases involve prescription drugs.

"We see them here almost daily," said Dr. Matthew Seibel, a pediatric hospitalist at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies. "It is standard operating procedure around here, unfortunately."

Infants suffer

It used to be that infants born with drug withdrawal symptoms were more likely to be suffering from a crack cocaine addiction.

But doctors, nurses and social workers say cases of "crack babies" are dwindling, while cases of prescription drug dependence are becoming more prevalent.

Colbert, the nurse, said more often than not the babies at her hospital are testing positive for oxycodone and other prescription drugs.

Former state Sen. Dave Aronberg, a Palm Beach County attorney now leading Attorney General Pam Bondi's new anti-pill mill initiative, called the newborn drug withdrawal statistics "horrifying."

"Prescription drug abuse has become the number one public safety threat to Florida," he said.

State child-welfare officials in Central Florida have taken notice of the surge. The problem was escalating so much in Orange County that in 2008, the local Department of Children and Families office reinstituted its Drug Dependent Newborn unit. It's the only DCF unit in the state dedicated to serving newborns dependent on drugs.

Last year, the unit received 206 cases.

In South Florida, all the hospitals with delivery rooms see babies born addicted to painkillers, nurses said. Fifty-five were born addicted to some substance — the state doesn't break out painkillers — in the first half of last year in Broward and Palm Beach counties, up sharply from 29 in all of 2006, state figures show.

From her experience, Colbert said, those numbers sound low. That may be because some doctors classify cases as maternal drug abuse rather than neonatal drug abuse, she said.

Hospitals prefer to keep addicted babies for at least four weeks to gradually wean them off drugs, rather than send them home to detox, said registered nurse Mary Osuch, manager of the neonatal intensive care unit at Broward General Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale.

"If we don't intervene, they are more vulnerable to child abuse because they are inconsolable and the parents can't take it after a while," Osuch said.

The drugs steal their appetites and cause stomach cramps. When the babies do eat, they get diarrhea. They don't rest well. And they are irritable all the time, Osuch said.

"It's so hard to watch them," Osuch said. "You can't console them."

Typically, NICU doctors give addicted babies the sedative phenobarbital to ease the withdrawal, Osuch said. If that doesn't work, they use methadone or even morphine. Over days or weeks, they reduce the dosage until the baby is drug free and eating and sleeping normally.

Mothers are steered toward parenting classes, counseling and assistance with scheduling doctors appointments and follow-up care for the newborn. "
Reply #3 - 04/30/12  11:18pm
" I have the awfulest pictures of me and my new baby girl .....I was covered in scabs. I had been using until 3 weeks prior to her birth, I prayed, walked and tried to be healthy that last 3 weeks. I mean I ate and did vitamins through out but ...well I wont go into mu escuses. they will check your blood, urine, and they will check the babies first poop. You will not be able to breast feed. My baby came out clean. She is 5 now. Use the feeling of how scared you are to make changes. It is drugs or kids....cant do both and be good at either one. Shit is hard, even if you fall, the trick is to get right back up, dont wait ten years or till your babies are gone...just saying. "
Reply #4 - 06/30/12  2:18pm
" I too am pregnant and struggling to keep sober. I have slipped many times during my pregnancy. I am worried about my baby. I love him so much and it's crazy that it is so easy to relapse even though I love him. I don't know what to do. I am so stressed right now. My boyfriend is gone (prison) and I'm finding it even harder to stay clean now. Someone help please, pray for me and my little one. It is so hard to stay clean. Even knowing how my actions could affect him. It is so difficult. "