Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
meth and bipolar
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I stopped using meth 6 years ago. I was dx being bipolar this year. Do you think its bipolar or brain damage from using meth? Please give me your advice.
Posted on 11/09/10, 11:54 pm
6 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Meth Addiction & Recovery. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/21/10  2:01pm
" You know i've wondered the same thing I too have been off meth for 6 yrs and have some crazy medical issues, The Drs say that one thing has nothing to do with the other but I'm with you ?? I guess it could be a combination of all things from the drugs we did to the life we led but who really knows and drs these days don't seem to care enuf to investigate such things.
I have known others who were diagnosed with bipolar after they got sober and the drs always say that it was something they had before they started using meth, basically meth was their medication made them feel a little more normal.
You think maybe that is possible for you, were you feeling the same way that you feel now? Ask yourself if you were one of those that used to get away from that feeling.
hope its helpful Peace- "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/27/10  8:36pm
" i THINK THE BIPOLAR WAS ALWAYS THERE BUT YOU SIS DRUGS TO FEEL "normal" RIGHT, SO WHEN YOU STOPPED YOU WERE DIAGNOSED "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/03/10  9:16pm
" I think it probably does have something to do with it. I have been sober for almost 3 years now and just over the last year have devoloped bad anxiety along with my depression I have always have. My Dr. has told me there is a possibility that it could be connected to my meth use. Meth damages the natural chemicals in your brain so sometimes you need meds to keep yourself level. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/12/11  8:49pm
" i have been clean 8 years..now i am moody,,get angry easy..i used to shoot it up..maybe killed my brain..i think that it has a connection to some things "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/14/11  2:31pm
" I was over 10 years clean and sober before I was teachable and able to learn and accept that I am bipolar. I think the Meth was just another form of self medicating for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/20/11  9:55am
" I stopped using meth 6years ago. I really don't think I was bipolar...before using meth. I was never irritable, depressed, moody, etc... I have no desire to use meth again and I never think of using again. Tthe topic of what I did to my brain using meth does have something to do with bipolar I was dx being bipolar 5 years after using meth. My theripist specialized in neuropsychology and she feels that there is permanet damage. I do believe her I also read in a book "Why am I still Depressed?" by Jim Phelps. " The long-term effects of meth can lead to a persistent agitated state, similar to dysphoric hypomania, which can last for years after the drug is stopped, perhaps forever." I hate thinking what I did to my life...but what can we do. I hope this has given you the answer. so maybe we are not bipolar...just agitated. I dont know... "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web