Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
"peach fuzz" on face
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
A while back, the tiny blonde hairs on my face were just there, not really noticeable, and quite normal, as I see it on plenty of people. As you can tell by my picture I like makeup a lot, and for me this problem that I'm about to get to disappears when I wear makeup, however without it, I am begining to look like some sort of "peach fuzz" Sasquatch. The hair has stayed blonde, even though I am dark haired, but it is growiing. I've pluckes some that were at least a half an inch longer if not more. So, when my very sweet husband, who would never ever say anything to intentionally hurt me, says something about it, and runs to get tweezers "because the light is just right" and comes home with the depiliory cream I discussed using with him after a quick run to the drugstore, I guess it's time to get rid of the "bearded lady look". Like I said, makeup smooths them down, but I can't walk around with foundation on 24/7, I sleep too much. So, my choices are wax, which always has the effect of leaving my skin red for at least a day, and sometimes causing little pimples and ingrown hair, to shaving, which seems a little extreme, and masculine, which I don't think my fragile ego can take, or the depilitory cream (it's like Nair for the face). I have never used depilitories, so of course, I will do a spot test, but I was wondering if any of you have had to go to these lengths, and what you chose to do about it. Please bear in mind, I'm NOT talking about the occasional coarse, dark hair that pop out occasionally on my chin (Ihave like 2 or 3) this is the all over peach fuzz that is on most people. It seems as though menopause has made mine grow, and laser treatment or (fibro fog) the other one where they zap the root of the hair and kill it are both out of the queation. Laser-too expensive, right now, zap thingy...too many hairs, we're talkin my entire face here, except my nose and chin. This feels horribly embarrassing, so if you have any experience with this, please let me know how it turned out. -T
Posted on 03/10/09, 01:02 pm
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Menopause. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/10/09  2:10pm
" I have the same problem except mine is worse than yours I think, because on me make up makes it worse. if I use the powders like bare minerals it colors the hair and makes it show up more, and if I use the cream or mouse foundations it looks like I have not blended it properly because of the hair.

I can not use the things like nair. they work by burning the hair off and also burn my skin.

I use the pre waxed strips. the kind that are ready to use and you don't have to heat anything. it does turn red for a few hours so it's something I do really early in the morning when I'm the only one awake and when I don't have to go anywhere.

according to doctor oz, he thinks shaving is best, but no way am I doing that every freaking day. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/11/09  11:07am
" Thanks Peri, but what about all the ingrown hairs from shaving? I mean these hairs are wicked fine, and I just know that they'll make pimples everywhere no matter what I do. I feel trapped, like I'm turning into a Teddy Bear! Why does Dr Oz reccommend shaving? Do you know? If so, and you have a minute will you tell me what he has to say about it? Thank you! -T "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/11/09  11:11am
" Thanks Peri, but what about all the ingrown hairs from shaving? I mean these hairs are wickedly fine, and I just know that they'll make pimples everywhere no matter what I do. I feel trapped, like I'm turning into a Teddy Bear! Why does Dr Oz reccommend shaving? Do you know? If so, and you have a minute will you tell me what he has to say about it? Thank you! -T "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/11/09  1:33pm
" he said because shaving causes less skin irritation, and you don't get the redness and bumps like from waxing etc. he said it's just an old wives tale that shaving makes it grow back thicker or darker. That's all well and good, but I don't want to have to shave every day.

I use a face wash with salicylic (sp?) acid in it that is supposed to exfoliate and cut down on ingrown hairs. so far I haven't had any ingrowns. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/11/09  3:04pm
" Being blonde, I have had more facial hair than others most of my life but the last few years it's really noticeable. I use a creme hair remover on my face, made just for faces. It works well. I dont do it as often as I should since where I live I lack privacy but it works for me, and I have seme-sensitive skin. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/07/09  4:55pm
" Hey was just reading your question about peach fuzz on your face. I believe I'm in perimenopause because I have the signs, hot flashes, and lots of others. I'm almost 41 and this all started around 39. My mom went through menopause at 42 so I'm sure it's coming. Anyway I figured my peach fuzz was from the perimenopause and now I'm sure. I use something called Tweeze. It's something you can get at any drug store. It will be with the things that are as seen on t.v. You know things you can buy from informercials. It takes the hair out at the root. So it's much better then shaving. It's just a little device that you have aaa batteries in and you turn it on and it starts taking out the little hairs. A couple of times my face was just a little red in one spot. But no bumps and the hair grows back soft. This is not like a razor. It's about $25.00 to $30.00 dollars. But I recommend it! Try it I think you'll like it. Your not suppose to use it on eyebrows probably because they're near your eyes and you don't want to snag your eye. But it's good for upper lip and on the face. That's what it even states it's for. I used my dogs name as my username so I am a woman, just wanted to clarify that. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/08/09  9:08am
" Hey! I've *always* had peach fuzz. When I was in my 20s I was miserable with it (tried everything; heard you should never, ever shave. Heard that recently, in fact.) Well, I do shave. the fuzz comes right off and it takes it about a month to grow back. There is no stubble, the fuzz is far too fine.

It's too fine for laser; and what makes depilatories and yanking your fuzz off with hot wax more "feminine"?

Shave. Be a woman! :-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/08/09  10:32am
" Oh, I didn't mean to sound ugly when I said it felt a little "masculine", I just had this vision of myself standing at the mirror, with shaving cream smeared all over my face, next to hubby, doing our shave together. I wanted a more private way of doing it, and hopefully a lessirritating to my skin way of doing it. I'm really sorry if I was obnoxious. Sometimes I say the most ridiculous things. I used the dipilitory cream and it seems to work great, no ingrown hairs, 3 miutes of hiding in bathroom, and I'm done, with no red skin or anything. I just wanted to say sorry if I was rude. I was looking for ANY suggestions, and if I had read your comment back then, I probably would have stepped back and rethought shaving. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, that DEFINATELY wasn't my intention! I guess I sometimes think I'm funny when I'm not. Once again, sorry. -T "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/10/09  6:00pm
" IAM BLOND & THE BLONDE FUZZ GETS SO BAD IT LOOKS LIKE A BEARD & MAKE UP MAKES IT SHOW UP MORE WHEN YOU STAND SIDEWAYS THE SUN SHINES THRU! PLUS I CAN'T WEAR MAKEUP IT MAKE MY FACE FEEL TERRIBLE/DIRTY! I USE GOOD ANTI WRINKLE CREAMS & LIGHT APLL OF SHEERCOVER CREAM BRONZERS & EYE MAKE-UP.
I PLUCK & USE THE DEPLITORY IT DOES LEAVE FACE RED & KINDA BURNY= I DO IT AT NIGHT BEFORE GOING TO BED & PUT STRAIGHT ALOE ON IT!
IN MORNING IT IS CLEAR & SMOOTH AS A BABYS BUT! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 04/10/09  6:13pm
" PS & SOME DO GET VERY VERY LONG JUST OVER NIGHT! JAWLINE & UNDER MY BOTTOM LIP OVER NIGHT GETS FUZZY HAVE TO=PLUCK EVERY NIGHT WHILE WATCHING TV & USE DILPILTORY 2XAMO
NEVER SHAVE IT WILL GET DARKER & THICK BLUNT ON ENDS! HAVE NEVER WAXED YET! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web