Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Tingling in Hands and Feet?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I just saw on Jaded Secret's list of symptoms that "a sensation of tingling in extremities" could occur in menopause. Does anyone else experience your hands or feet "falling asleep" much more easily now that you are in peri or menopause? I have been concerned about this, because if I am just sitting in a chair reading, I find that my hand numbs-out,. and I have to shake it to get the circulation going again. And if I'm sitting at the computer, often my foot will lose all sensation, and I have to wait a couple of minutes for feeling to come back. I have mentioned this to other women my age (55), and they have said that they are experiencing this, too.

I also mentioned it to my doctor, and she said that she didn't feel it was a circulation problem, because "my pulse was too good". I didn't think to ask her if it could be a menopause symptom, because it never occurred to me that it would be.

Does anyone else experience this, and if so, have you been told it is a symptom of menopause?

Thanks, Janet
Posted on 11/18/08, 10:57 am
17 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Menopause. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/18/08  3:43pm
" I was getting tingling on my face there for a while. I am happy to say it really has subsided. When doing research on this peri-menopause sure enough there it was just another symptom. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/18/08  3:58pm
" Wow - tingling on your face must have been a weird sensation. I'm glad it stopped....maybe this hand and foot tingling will stop for me, too...

Is there ANY weird physical or emotional symptom that a woman doesn't have during this time??? It seems that there are so many things to endure...at least they don't always happen at the same time...

Janet "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/18/08  4:04pm
" I have this and also I get muscle cramps really bad in by calves and feet now too. I am only 39 and been having symptoms for about 2 years. My mother and sister also had these symptoms. I get tingling in my head like there are bugs crawling around on it also. So strange......anyway all these things are normal for peri and menopause I have been told. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/18/08  6:19pm
" I have read about that symptom, the sensation of bugs crawling around under the skin and the head. What a thing to have to live with...

I know I used to wake up with severe leg cramps in the middle of the night (when I was a younger woman), and I was told to take more calcium (in the form of a supplement), and that helped...I wonder if this would help if the cramps were due to menopause?

Janet "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/18/08  7:40pm
" I HAVE PROBLEM AT NIGHT IN MY HANDS. I TOOK IT AS JUST GETTING OLDER. I WILL HAVE TO BRING THIS UP TO MY GYN. I WOULD BE CURIOUS WHAT HE WOULD RECOMMEND. FOR THE LADIES THAT SUFFER LEG CRAMPING, YOU MAY WANT TO GET YOUR POTASSIUM LEVELS CHECKED. ALSO IF YOU ARE TAKING DIURETICS, MAKE SURE YOUR WATER INTAKE IS PLENTIFUL. GOOD LUCK:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/19/08  1:30pm
" Thanks -

Although my leg cramps have stopped for some time now, I have been meaning to start eating a banana a day (for the potassium)...so I will definitely start that very soon...especially since menopause seems to have brought with it (in me) an increase in my blood pressure...

Janet "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/20/08  11:09pm
" Janet7, I get tingling in my face, hands and legs almost daily. It is one of the signs of perimenopause/menopause. This is one of some many symptoms to deal with. I have been going through this for two years now and some days a better than others. I eat right, take vitamins, exercise to take focus off of everything my body is going through. I have mood swings like you don't believe. I have taking Klonopin 1/2 in morning and at night. I helps settle my nerves and keep me calm. I am anxiety daily. I am 47 now and cannot wait to get this part over so I can feel good again. Good luck and stay strong. DebbT "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/21/08  1:48pm
" Dear Debb,

Thanks so much for your reassurance that this is menopausal. I was starting to think I had some major circulation problem or something. Thanks, everyone, for your responses, so that I know this symptom is yet another menopausal weirdness.

Debb, you sound a lot like myself...I also try to eat right, exercise, and take incredible amounts of supplements, some of them suggested by my MD. I can only imagine how I would feel if I DIDN'T do all this ! I also use Klonopin for anxiety and panic disorder, and find it very effective.

One day all this will be over, and then we are supposed to feel better than ever ! (lol) I just got back from the doctor's office (routine visit) and was talking to a 92-year-old lady - she seemed to have fewer complaints than I did !

Janet "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 11/23/08  8:52pm
" lately i keep getting tingling in my legs and hands. my fiance thought i was having a heart attack, cuz it was only on the left side. now it happens on both sides. my problem is that i don't know if it's from menopause, or from my RA. will be finding a new doc right after the first of the year. maybe i can get some real answers! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/24/08  9:31am
" Hi,

When I first started having tingling in my hands and feet, I wasn't sure what it was due to, either. (I'm the one who started this thread.) Then I started talking to women my age, (55),and they all said they had some degree of this, which leads me to believe that it is due to menopause (besides what people are saying here, which is also making me feel it is menopause.)

But I also have some degree of mild arthritis in my hands and legs, so I would be interested in hearing what your MD had to say after the New Year, if you don't mind sharing what he or she said - because the tingling may also be due to arthritis. My MD also said it may be due to a pinched nerve at the base of my spine, which gets "set off" when I am sitting for long periods, like when I am at the computer...although there's no real tangible evidence for this theory.

Janet "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web