Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Weight gain
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Can anyone give me advice please.

Although I am still having periods, they have become very light and extremely out-of-this-world painful. I am 51 so believe that I must be entering menopause.

While I've never been a naturally slim person (I've always had to work at it), I have always had a very trim waistline. I'd put on weight in other areas, but never around my abdomen.

However, over the last year, I am suddenly accumulating tummy weight at a phenomenal rate. Overall, my weight has gone up around 10kgs without any dramatic change in my eating pattern. If anything has changed, it's that I've cut back to a huge extent on alcohol, so I should be seeing a weight loss.

I am also newly self-employed (eight months) doing audio transcription work, which can see me sitting for up to 18 hours a day, with breaks only to eat or put on washing and so forth. I've recently joined a gym.

I'm not eating very much, with the exception of when I am extremely tired and have to keep working to meet a deadline, I may have a few pieces of toast to keep me going.

Can anyone suggest a diet that would be both balanced but also cater for my lifestyle (needing energy when working long hours) and also being menopausal?

Any suggestions very welcome please.
Posted on 09/01/12, 11:42 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Menopause. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/02/12  11:44am
" You need adequate protein for energy, muscle mass, and weight loss/maintenance. With your busy schedule, you could try whey protein shakes. I mix the powder (I like chocolate) with strawberry and plain kefir and a little milk, shake it, and drink. I sometimes make smoothies with these same ingredients plus some fresh or frozen fruit. Of course you'll still want to get some chicken and fish in your diet if you aren't vegan. Legumes and eggs are good protein too. If you like hard boiled eggs, those are good for a busy lifestyle.

Fruits and vegetables (cooked or raw) and good fats are essential. I know I'm better about eating raw veggies as snacks if I cut a bit up ahead of time and have it ready to grab in a rush. A little ranch dressing adds a little zip.

I like apples or celery with peanut butter - quick, easy and nutritious. Grapes, berries, and nuts are easy, healthy finger foods. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/02/12  3:43pm
" Fantastic advice, fighting4change. I'm going to hit the shops and get the foods you suggest (time for a grocery shop). Much appreciated! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/02/12  8:33pm
" Glad you liked my ideas. Now I need to get back at eating more of the foods I suggested. I don't have much of an appetite so sometimes I just don't bother eating. And since most of these foods keep fairly well, it's fewer trips to the grocery store. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web