Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Anxiety and crappy mood
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Don't know how to even start this, but I have been in this mood lately, everything and everybody makes me angry. The smallest things can get me so frustrated and angry. I just don't feel myself. Can anybody relate to this? I am 49, my periods are still pretty regular, don't take any meds and also don't have any health insurance and probably would not consider taking hormones. This pissed of mood is just driving me crazy; seems like I just don't want to put up with anything anymore.
Posted on 02/14/12, 02:06 pm
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Menopause. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/14/12  4:22pm
" Enchanting, you are surely not alone with these moods which are very typical during perimenopause. You mention you are still having your periods, but have you noticed any changes to them, either becoming heavier or lighter, lasting longer or ending sooner, etc? Often there are those kinds of changes taking place while we are still having our periods. This can be an indicator of things happening to your body hormonally. You may want to check out a list of "34 menopausal symptoms" online. It can be very helpful to see what things are common during this phase of life. These awful moods can certainly be tough, but there are lots of different options to consider once you evaluate all your symptoms. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/14/12  4:33pm
" Also, is there anything else going on in your life that may be contributing to your mood? I know that having 2 teenage boys sure can put in in a mood! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/15/12  1:10pm
" Thanks Rosa7 and hotmom1 for your replies. I have checked the "34 menopausal symptoms" and I think I have plenty of them, and yes my periods have changed. First they were closer together (24 days) now they are further apart (32 days maybe), and also the flow is different now it is usually 2 days heavier (not to bad) and then really light for another 4. Not much cramping, but the headaches, they are like migranes and also my temperature is sometimes over 99 F. Another factor of my grumpy moods is most likely my three children, ages 16, 21 and 23, the oldest having a developmental disability, and then I also have a neighborhood friend who is much younger and who wants to discuss the drama she created for herself, but I just don't answer her calls anymore.
My mother had her last period when she was almost 56, I just hope I don't have to wait that long. Can not really discuss this with my mother, because she is very judgemental and whatever I say she will turn it against me (like I had my tubes tied after baby number 3, and she always things that has somekind of effect, but I never had any problems, and I am glad I didn't have to take birthcontrol for so many years). I just have to try to be more patient with people, because sometimes I just come unglued in 2 seconds. Hope I learn a lot from all you women out here. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/15/12  7:55pm
" I hear you. My younger son has ADHD and a learning disability and he requires a lot of patience. I do a lot of self-talking (not out loud, that would be weird,LOL)and I find it helpful. I try to avoid negative people as they drain the life out of me. I find as I have gotten older, I don't want to waste my precious time with users and people who aren't genuine. I also walk everyday, regardless of the weather and I find that really helps as well. Good luck to you and avoid that pesky neighbor. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/15/12  9:55pm
" I thought I had replied to this but apparently not. I too get in these moods. Sometimes I cannot even stand myself and since I can't get away from myself it's really difficult to deal with LOL! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/15/12  11:43pm
" Yes sometimes I look in the mirror and I don't even know that person, she just looks ugly and mean. I have zero tolerance for people that get me down and I need to cut them out of my life, especially the pesky neighbor. Never met anybody like that and don't care to have anything to do with her. I figure this is my 50 year and it is time for me to standup for myself and don't let others rule my life, because they bring you down, but I also think this change has to do with hormones, because every little thing can bring me to a point of explosion. You guys probably know what I am talking about. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/16/12  10:18am
" Hormone fluctuations can certainly cause these ugly Jekkyl and Hyde moments.There are a lot of things that people try. It's kind of a trial and error thing. I dont know if you are willing to take meds at all, but an antidepressant can certainly help with mood swings. There are many generic forms that are cheap. Some use exercise as a mood stabilizer. Some use synthetic hormones, others use bio-identical hormones which are said to be safer than the synthetic form but you state you wont consider those so I wouldnt think that's an option for you. Some try yoga/pilates classes for helping calm them along with meditation. Sometimes recognizing these mood swings and deep breathing can help you to get through. The moods come with hormone fluctuations. You can ride it out but they could be there for a while since you sound perimenopausal and still having periods. It could be related to your cycle and hormone fluctuations. Some take birth control pills to help. A visit to an OBGYN or primary to talk about this might be a good place to start. If you dont have any health insurance you might inquire of your local hospital/clinic if they have a patient assistance program. This program is usually based on income and you fill out a simple application and include proof of household income through pay stubs or tax return. The % of coverage that you receive is based on income. You can receive up to 100% coverage if you qualify but you wont know unless you inquire. This process can be well worth it to allow you to be able to see a doctor at a greatly reduced rate. Most all hospitals or hospital with clinics attached have these in place. Many dont know about them though. Best Wishes! Judy "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/16/12  8:45pm
" enchanting- you hit the nail on the head! We reach this age and all of a sudden we wake up and say- HEY why am I always last? Why do I put up with this BS? I don't want to put up with this crap! I won't put up with this crap! So we behave in this manner because we are going thru "the change" The change for our better but everyone bashes us and tells us we're hormonal- well I think we just finally wised up! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/16/12  8:52pm
" Amen to that! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/17/12  5:28pm
" Yes RA, another phase, one of strength! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web