Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
43 yrs old periods twice a month
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was just wondering if any of you have gone through this, if maybe it is menopause related (pre-menopause).

I am 43 yrs old, and just recently started having my periods twice a month (second month of this). Prior to this, my cycles were 23-28 days long, getting shorter. But then last month, I started bleeding about the time I'd normally ovulate. Not spotting, but the usual bleeding I get with my period (about 3 days stretch). Then I get my period about the normal time. So it seems I am always on my period.

I don't know if I am ovulating, I think I will start charting, and testing with cheap dollar tree OPKs, to see what is going on. I think I might have some of the menopause test strips (take on the third day of cycle). If not, I'll buy some online (I think I got them on ebay).

I will probably make an appt with the doctor to see what they think, but it would be nice to see if anyone has experienced this. I have two older sisters, who are in their mid-50's, my oldest sister still getting regular period, the other one, only gets them a couple times a year. Both of them got their first period around 15 or 16 yrs old, I got mine at 10 yrs old, hence I expect I will go thruogh menopase earlier.

Thanks in advanced for any input!!
Posted on 11/19/11, 11:06 am
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Menopause. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/19/11  11:54am
" Sounds like peri-menopause because of the erradic periods. My periods got weird in my late 40's, maybe 48-49 yrs. old. I would miss one, get off schedule with them, have lighter periods, spotting, and then in June 2009 they just stopped altogether. Good indication of menopause time is when your mother went through it to get an idea of when you might go through it. Good you are seeing your doctor. He can check your FSH to see if it shows you in the peri or menopausal range. It is just a snapshot of where your hormones because our hormones are always fluctuating. But once your bloodwork shows you in the menopause range you generally never fall out of that range. If it shows you below the range for menopause its a good indication you are still in peri. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/19/11  3:25pm
" Thanks for you input sugaboog! In regards to my mom, she went through menopause in her early to mid 50s (she can't remember anymore, since that was over 20 yrs ago). But then she didn't get her first period until 15 or 16 yrs old, just like my older sisters, hence I am thinking I follow on my dad's side (who got pregnant with her first at 15 yrs old). I remember a friend of mine going though a similar thing several years ago, no idea what has happened with her cycles now. But it was like she suddenly started adding an extra period mid cycle. Like me, she was not not skipping any period (I wish).

Anyway, yeah, I'll ask if they can do a FSH test, I had one done many years ago, when I was trying to get pregnant with our third child (who is 4 yrs old). It was normal, but in the 8's, which if I remember right, above 10 is fertility issues? and above 25 is menopause. It's been a while since I thought about all that stuff. This just happened all of a sudden, my cycles have been very regular, but all of a sudden added an extra period, and now I'm PMS-ing twice as much as usual which stinks. I feel like I am on a major roller coaster ride, weepy all the time...not about to sleep, etc...

Thanks again for the input!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/22/11  8:19am
" That's happened to me before also, I guess around age 45 - 46... Shorter cycles and two periods in one month then nothing for month. I'm pretty regular again. Just check in with your doctor and keep a log. It sounds like standard perimenopause symptoms to me. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web