Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Chinese herbs, back pain, sick feeling
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Just wondering if there is anyone out there quite as miserable as me. I have to be the poster child for a horrible menopause. From age 42-50, I had a horrific perio-menopause due to fibroids...intense bleeding for days....but I held off a hysterectomy because I felt it would eventually get better and that the fibroids would shrink (as the doctors said)when I entered menopause.

Well, at 52 I finally stopped my periods (my fibroids still haven't shrunk and I am 56 now!), but then the menopause problems started. The first symptom was itchy skin all over. Then I started to break out in what I first thought were nasty mosquito bites, but which developed into itchy welts all over my body. As if that were not enough, I developed a terrible rash on both eyelids, which definitely did much to disfigure my face and put me in a terrible depression.

I went to a dermatologist for a year, who prescribed all sorts of creams and medications, all of which did no good at all, some of which made me even sicker. Finally, upon the advice of a friend, I visited an acupuncturist, paid for fortunately by my medical insurance. While the acupuncture itself didn't do much for my condition, the acupuncturist advised me to start taking Chinese herbs (Health Concerns, Three Immortals). I bought and took the herbs as a last resort, and it was miraculous. Within 10 days my rash vanished! I must take these herbs regularly, however. When I went on vacation and forgot them, my rash returned after five days. So now, they go with me everywhere.

While the herbs cured my horrific itch, they still haven't cured all the symptoms I still have. I wonder sometime, is this menopause or am I dying of some strange disease? For the past two years, I have had crashing fatigue in the afternoon, accompanied by hot flashes. My newest symptom is not only low back pain, but a soreness all across my upper back, which I've never experienced. The soreness skips around, so I have difficulty even explaining to a doctor what is wrong with me, as the symptoms are so vague.

On top of it all, I've also developed a craving for wine that has intensified over the past three years. Is this weird or what? I always enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner, but now I can drink up to a bottle a night and, strangely enough, it seems to help my symptoms. I would appreciate knowing if anyone else has had this experience.

Sorry for this long message, but I would love to hear from others out there who have had similar experiences, and what they do to combat them.

Thank you all so much!
Posted on 11/12/07, 12:56 am
0 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Menopause. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help

Advertisement

More From Around the Web