Endolymphatic Sac Enhancement Surgery
My husband made it thru the 2 hours of testing today and it confirmed Meniere's. It progressed very rapidly since the original visit in Oct. The tests show severe damage in his right ear. The tinnitus, imbalance and ear pressure have gotten significantly worse recently. His doctor wants to proceed with the surgery to ease the symptoms yet preserve his hearing. I was wondering if anyone else has had this surgery, and did it make a big improvement? Thanks.
Posted on 12/11/12, 08:18 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Meniere's Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 12/11/12  11:05pm
" Have they tried steroid shots into the ear? How often does he have vertigo attacks? I have not had surgery but some people have had success with it and some people do not get any relief from it. "
Reply #2 - 12/11/12  11:10pm
" Also if you do surgery go with a doctor that has done it often or get it done by a high level doctor at a big university. You should also get a 2nd opinion as well. Look into a drug called betahistine which is being used in Europe. I was on it and it helped me bring the frequency of my attacks down and then to reinforce the treatment I got ear shots done. I now have light attacks every 2 to 3 months that last for about 3 hrs but that's fine with me. "
Reply #3 - 12/12/12  6:51am
" I'm scheduled for surgery in January. I asked the same question a few weeks ago and got quite a few responses. If you look for my name under the discussion a week or so back you can see a lot of wonderful responses. "
Reply #4 - 12/12/12  10:39am
" thats crazy i was woundering the same thing because my ent said tubes should help me but i have to c this new brain doc first i say what do u have to lose that is y im going to get it done "
Reply #5 - 12/12/12  12:36pm
" Szafar...My husband has vertigo attacks several times a day and has been falling alot. He actually is using a cane right now. He also has constant headaches and loud, constant tinnitus in his ear. We are seeing a doc who specializes in Meniere's - Dr Paparella. He will be doing the surgery at the University Med Ctr in Minnesota.

Leslie...I'll do that - thanks. Good luck on your surgery. "
Reply #6 - 12/12/12  1:29pm
" Suport Spouce

I had the Sac enhancement surgery about 4 months ago. For me it was not successful, however I have other conditions that may have mave played into it such as nerve damage and prior brain tumor so I wouldnt take myself as being a real good example. Congradulations! I checked out your doctor and he seems to be one of those really good ones, I would have a high confidence level with him. Among ENT sac surgery or the shunt surgery (the sac has replaced the shunt in many doctors eyes but both are still done) are a highly debated proceedure as to its real help, some say as high as 70% success others say it is no better than the placebo. It is a low risk proceedure however in my case I did loose an aditional 20% of my hearing. The other conservative method are steroid shots, I had them also and they didnt do any good. The thought is that the steroid helps controll the inflamation. Your doctor must feel of the two the surgery will offer a better chance at results. It is out surgery and can take up to three months for positive results sometimes sooner. Is your hubbie taking anything for his drop attacks or vertigo?

Thanks for sharing

Rich "
Reply #7 - 12/12/12  2:56pm
" A question for Rich,
How do you check out doctors? "
Reply #8 - 12/12/12  4:06pm
" Rachel
I try to pull resources together, ask doctors who I see. Look for places that specialize in disorders, call locations on the phone (this is a big one because we do not get charged for long distance phone calls nowdays). I look for doctor rating and complaints, BBB, courthouse reccords on line. Send for information in the mail, follow good doctors as they move. The list is really about endless. In the end I feel what I am looking for is someone who knows about a specific disorder and has a long track record in dealing with the illness. I learned this the hard way....... example.......when I was younger I had a problem with ingrown toe nails on my big toe both right and left foot. I went to see my local Osteopathic Dr who gave me a numbing shot in my big toe and would then pull the nail off, it was fine but once it grew back I had ingrown toe nail and infection again, I did this 10 times till my mother inlaw said "why dont you go see a Podiatrists?". I said a what? She gave me the name of a Podiatrist and in my first appointment he killed 1/16th of the root on both sides of both toes and removed this sliver of nail, I have never had that problem again, that was 40 years ago! Moral of the story, you can waste your time seeing the wrong Dr or spend your time seeing the right one.

Hope that helps!